έντεκα

»»——⍟——««

Yuta roamed the place with a small smile on his face, fingers ghosting over the prickles of a bright yellow gorse bush and the sounds of a strange language entering his ears.

"Mark, this is amazing!" He whispered to the man beside him, who held a content smile on his face.

He tugged the sleeves of his salmon-pink sweatshirt up above his elbows before running along a path and whacking the heads of long, fluffy flowers off the stalks, which sent thousands of beige seeds flying through the gentle breeze.

Mark watched him jump about from the other end of the path. "I'm glad someone's having fun," he said to himself.

The Canadian turned his head like a periscope to his new surroundings. He had never actually visited Aberystwyth before. He had seen photos online, but that was just about it. So for him, being here was just like visiting a tourist hotspot like Athens or the Caribbean.

Except he wasn't on holiday. "Yuta," he waved the excited man down.

Yuta hurried back over to the witch with a smile on his face, still wiping away the fluffy seeds from his palms. The Canadian found the expression to be rather contagious as he said, "We'd better get a move on. If that thing follows us here, we're absolutely done for."

Yuta nodded in understanding, and just as quickly as he had jet off to follow the flowers, he switched his focus back onto the main issue. "What was that thing anyway?"

"One of the Goddess's siblings, I think. There are five of them," Mark answered. They began to walk past the child's playground, bustling with screaming toddlers and panicking parents, and when they fully crossed the gates to the other side of the area, he continued, "They do what she wants. Everything and anything. Sometimes, she doesn't even have to say what she wants and they'll do it."

People watched them curiously as they passed. It was mostly because of their language, which was just as foreign to the locals as the Welsh language was to the two, but it was also to do with their state of dress.

Whilst Yuta was clothed in a salmon sweatshirt and blue jeans, the man beside him was wearing a crisp white shirt and black dress trousers. To be quite honest, he looked severely out of place.

Yuta thought he looked really good, actually. He and his pretty smile were much better suited to the sun-flooded scenery of Wales than the cold, grey boredom of the city.

Mark looked over at him through the light in his eyes once the nosy locals had passed. "How are you doing with all of this?"

The Japanese shrugged lightly, a bee busying past his face and shocking him slightly. "I mean... at first, I'll be honest, I didn't believe you. I thought you were a con-man-"

"You thought I was a con-man," he said at the same time. He nodded deeply, a chuckle leaving his throat. "Everyone thinks that about people like me. I haven't actually met somebody who's believed me, you know."

"And how many people have gotten this close to you?"

Mark smiled softly. "Just two."

Yuta's heart thumped. "Oh I kind of feel special."

His heart twittered when Mark's fingers brushed against his lightly. "You are," he said quietly.

Yuta was a little surprised when his own fingers reached out to play with the delicate hand. The tips of his fingers sparked, and before he knew it, his hand gently clasped around the coldness of the younger's inviting palm. "And, um, now, I do believe you. And I'm quite sure that this is the biggest thing that's ever happened in my life-"

"Again, I'm so sorry."

"-but that's just the thing! This whole situation is wonderful!" The Japanese chirped happily. Now, the two were at the top of a long street with people casually strolling in and out of various shops in pairs, groups, on their own, and even in groups large enough for parties. They were wandering around with coffees in their hands and smiles on their faces, but knowing that they probably couldn't understand their language, he continued, "Witches, runes, devils, goddesses - this is all amazing to me. To you, it might just be oh this again but for me, this is an adventure."

Mark caught his free hand in his hair and sighed. "But... why aren't you freaking out?"

"Oh, I am," Yuta smiled dumbly. "Just on the inside. I mean, you're being hunted by possibly one of the oldest and dangerous beings on the planet - that's right; I did my research - and you, possibly one of the coolest, kindest witches in existence, are scared of them? So what does that make me? I'm a mouse compared to thoze... demon things."

They took a left down a quieter street and towards an open area, swarmed with seagulls and couples enjoying icecream. The sun began to die down, and only then did Yuta realise just how cold it was, despite the previous bouts of sunshine.

To steady his erratic nerves, be inhaled deeply.

"And... I actually think you're--"

He suddenly stopped when something cold and wet slid down his sleeve, making way to his palm. His finger started dripping onto the ground, and just as he was about to scream, he saw the corners of what must have been a white cloth slip out from beneath his cuff.

Mark looked down in surprise. "Oh my god-- Pani! You're here!"

The cloth hugged around the Japanese's hand before swinging up to and softly landing on Mark's own hand.

Then, he watched in awe as it rolled and folded much like origami, water squeezing out onto the palm and dripping off the witch's knuckles, until the flopping ceased, and up on his hand stood a small, white, origami bear.

Its expressionless head twisted to Yuta, who stared back in horror. "That fucking dishcloth... I swear to god..."

He hastily wiped away the water coating his skin as Mark laughed at the reaction. Sure, Pani was looking kind of cute and fluffy, but it was a moving, window-cleaning cloth.

"Isn't he cute?" Mark said, pouting at the bear.

Yuta just stared at the little figure and swallowing thickly. "...Sure."

»»——⍟——««