Jimin ♡︎ When You Flinch During an Argument Pt. 1

Disclaimer: I take toxic relationships very seriously. Aggression isn't cute, and save for yelling and stomping, Jimin doesn't act in a physically aggressive way in this imagine. There's no objects being thrown or walls being punched. If a significant other does do those things, it's a red flag for abuse. Unfortunately, Jimin still isn't perfect in my rendition of this prompt. After rereading it, I find his irrational jealousy to be problematic. Please know that anytime someone's jealousy escalates to a point where they try to control who you can be around, it's unacceptable.

✨✨✨

Your stomach was in knots as you forced down another bite of the carryout dinner you picked up and brought to eat at your boyfriend's apartment on your way home from work. The two of you had painfully busy schedules, but you both did what you could to see each other at least a few times a week, even if only for a quick meal before you had to hit the hay after an exhausting day.

Normally, you cherished this time with Jimin, but after a meeting with your boss this afternoon, you had some news that you were dreading to give him. Close friends and family always thought that the two of you were the perfect match, seeing as you were both very cheerful and caring individuals, but that didn't mean your relationship was without its problems.

Although you and Jimin rarely fought, there was a particular point of contention within the relationship that never failed to bring out the worst in Jimin. He usually wasn't the horribly possessive or jealous type, but there was one coworker of yours that he couldn't stand: Lee Hyunwoo.

The sunbae never really did anything to earn Jimin's animosity, but your boyfriend didn't like the fact that the two of you were rather close, seeing as you both graduated from the same university a year apart and then ended up employed at the same company. The friendship had never been anything more than platonic, yet Jimin somehow managed to convince himself that Hyunwoo had different intentions with you. That's why nowadays, for the sake of evading conflict, you did everything you could to avoid even mentioning the man's name. However, tonight, that tactic was futile unless you wanted to deceive you boyfriend.

"You're being awfully quiet, baby." Jimin observed, reaching across the table to place his hand on top of your tightly clenched fist, pulling you from your thoughts. "Is everything okay?"

You frowned at the distressing question. You supposed that now was as good a time as any to break the news, but you would have loved to stall for at least another twenty minutes. Nevertheless, with hesitant courage, you rested your spoon against the rim of your soup bowl and looked up at Jimin. You chewed on your bottom lip for a few seconds, your mind and body seemingly at war with the decision to tell him the truth.

"Y/N, you're scaring me. What's going on?" Jimin asked, apprehensively searching your wide eyes that were already silently pleading with him to remain calm.

"I need to tell you something." You finally spoke, sliding your hand out from under his so that you could place your own on top and keep a firm, desperate grip on him. "And you're not going to like it." You warned.

"Okay." Jimin nodded and briefly looked away, as if mentally preparing himself for what you were about to say. "What is it?"

You closed your eyes, inhaling and exhaling deeply before cutting to the chase. "I have to go to Tokyo this weekend." You confessed solemnly. "There's some important clients who are on the fence about renewing their contract with us and my boss wants me to attend the pitch meeting on Friday and a business dinner on Saturday. She's sending Hyunwoo sunbae too."

You mumbled the last detail, but the words themselves made a big impact. Jimin immediately snatched his hand from yours and began to run his fingers through his hair in frustration before crossing his arms, releasing a short, sardonic laugh. "You've got to be kidding me, Y/N. What the f***?"

Your eyes widened. This was the first time Jimin had ever sworn at you and you were taken aback by his loud volume. "I-I'm sorry, but – "

"But what?" Jimin cut you off. "Do you even remember what's on Saturday? Do you even care?"

"Of course, I do, sweetie. You should know that I wouldn't miss it if this wasn't such a huge opportunity." You answered softly, trying to keep the argument from escalating.

"Huge opportunity." Jimin scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, a huge opportunity to spend our first anniversary with him."

"It's not like that, Jimin. I'm doing this for us."

"No, Y/N." He quickly interjected before you could explain any further. "There's no way you're doing this on my behalf. If that's the case, then call your boss and tell her you're not going."

You sighed, dropping your head and pinching the bridge of your nose. "I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

"Then I guess we know where your priorities lie." Jimin spat, aggressively scooting his chair back.

When you lifted your head, you were alarmed to find him already turning around to walk out of the room and towards the nearby staircase. You hated this argument and all the yelling and insults, but more that anything, you hated the thought of leaving it unresolved.

"Where are you going?" You shouted after him, standing from the table.

"To sleep." He replied in a monotone voice.

"Jimin, can we please just talk about this?" You begged, following behind him. "I understand why you're mad, but if you'd let me exp – "

"No, Y/N. I'm not in the mood for your self-serving excuses right now. Just go home." He cut you off, making the demand through clenched teeth.

You could tell that this cold tone of his was his attempt at composing himself, but somehow it was even scarier than the yelling. Still, you refused to give up. If things were left like this now, it would be nearly impossible for you to function until you see him again.

"Please, Jiminie?" You croaked, on the verge of tears as you followed him up the handful of steps he took.

He continued walking. "This is my apartment and I'm telling you to leave. Now, leave."

"But Jimin – " You began to press on, desperate to make things right.

Abruptly, he turned around to face you. "I SAID GET THE F*** OUT!"

As your boyfriend shouted, he harshly lifted and swung one hand to point towards the door behind you, but from your perspective only one step below him, the fast and sudden movement made it look as though he was about to slap you. Reflexively, you ducked your head and shielded your face with your left arm.

Though a couple seconds passed, and the impact didn't come, the shock of believing he almost hit you and all the conflict that had escalated to this regrettable moment caused a harsh sob to escape your lips. Struggling to catch your breath and stand, you lowered yourself to sit on the steps, hiding your face behind your bent knees and arms.