Episode 36: Unworthy Friend

They had been in Mossca for a few days now and had not seen Loraz since that incident. Walking down the hall towards the stables Jensek looked at Vestin.

"So, you're just going to leave them be? You do understand that she is still in that man's bed."

Vestin turned to look at him. He smiled half-heartedly and turned away. His heart was heavy even if he already knew that it was bound to happen, but he couldn't let it show that it bothered him. She made her choice, and he would stay by her side as a friend. It was better to have her in any way he could than no way at all.

"It is okay. I already knew this was going to happen. I just want to be of use to her as her Second. I will help her with the daily tasks of governing her people and together we will bring Serenity out of the dark storm that hangs over them. First, we have to recruit more men to build her army. We cannot go after Jayel with the little power we have now. The newly appointed king of Mossca may be our ally, but that doesn't mean we have the support of the military. It is my job to find supporters for our cause."

Jensek walked up to him and popped him in the back of his head. The woman Vestin loved was in the arms of another man and all he wanted to talk about was his concerns about supporters for a cause that had just begun to spark flames.

"Don't give me mean noble crap. You love her and you've been in love with her for Ancestors know how long. Don't throw it all away because of one guy. Go to her and tell her how you feel."

"Jensek, I am fine. She has made her choice and I will respect that. I gave my word."

Jensek screamed at himself internally at what he was doing. This should have been the chance for him to get him to come back home with him. They could go into hiding until everything died down and maybe even see where things went between them. He shook the idea out of his head. It would never happen, and he couldn't stand to see Vestin in so much pain after everything the two of them shared on the way to Mossca.

" Look Vestin, I know what happened while we were traveling here. I saw the two of you by the pond. I know what happened in that small town inn in Sansin."

Vestin grabbed his head where he was smacked and rubbed it. He looked back at Jensek who held his hands on his hips. The more time he spent with Jensek the more feminine he looked and acted at times. It was nice that he cared about him, but they hadn't been that close until now, so he wondered why he was so upset.

"Listen, Jensek, it is done. I have already told her no matter what she chose to do I would still be there for her regardless. Anyway, we still have more important things to figure out. Like how she can reclaim her throne."

Jensek folded his arms across his chest and rolled his eyes.

"It has been a while since she made that gutsy speech and called out Jayel. Her mind is not focused on saving her people. She won't ever be ready to take the crown."

Vestin looked over at him, his brows frowned.

"You knew she was talking to Jayel?"

Jensek looked at him and scoffed. The fact that he would make such a statement was absurd.

"Of course, no way she was talking to that mess of a queen. She may be a lot of things but being bright isn't one of them."

Vestin shook his head and held up his hand to stop him from speaking. Any more of his illness thoughts about the queen would bring his mood further into depression.

"She is still a victim in all this, unfortunately. Jayel doesn't wish to be the shadow king anymore; he wants the crown indefinitely."

Jensek shakes his head in agreement. They began to walk again, and he realized that Vestin had successfully dodged his question from earlier. He stops in his tracks and pops Vestin in the back of the head again.