Chapter thirty:

In the end, it was decided that Sam, Alex, and Rachel would set off together to find the control room, and the rest of them would stay behind.

Among the people working to free the prisoners, Clarity and Scarlett would be teleporting people away, while the wolf girls ran ahead to open doors. Johnny, Xenia, the black-clad person with the hidden face, and the German guy—who she now knew was named Travis— would fight off any guards that they came across.

When they finished planning, everyone rushed to their assigned tasks, Scarlett's dire warning ringing silently through the heavy air. The wolf girls were the fastest of them all, scurrying from door to door so quickly that Clarity had a hard time tracking them.

The first group that Clarity had to transport was rather small—small enough to take a short look at each of them. A woman with gills, a boy not much older than Clarity that appeared completely normal, and an older man with long black hair and a metal arm.

"Everyone join hands." Clarity ordered, following Scarlett's example. The group did as she asked, and Clarity took the arm of the nearest person, which happened to be the "normal" boy.

She had no idea where to take them, so she just picked a random location. The housing district in Montana would do nicely.

She concentrated on the Square with the muddy fountain and old benches.

But this time she really thought about it, digging her feet in deep and concentrating harder than she ever had.

Clarity was only mildly surprised to find that there was a difference between particles. Some of them swirled a bit faster through her brick of concentration, and the thought of them whizzing around her at a zillion miles an hour made her dizzy.

It was quick work to find the fastest ones. She could imagine them blurring past her, though she knew for sure that her imagined speed was probably nothing compared to how fast they were truly traveling.

But she couldn't allow herself to dwell on her discovery. She had to keep her mind on the task at hand, so she allowed herself to mentally grab hold of her speedy little friends. She felt the reach of them spreading through her fingertips like a net, slowly encompassing her three passengers.

She felt the shock like a tapping sensation on her spine just as they jumped through space. A breeze kissed her skin, and she could now see the grey Montana sky above her. It had worked.

She left the three people standing there, wishing she could do more for them. They had to be beyond confused.

But a second later, she was back at the bottom of the ocean. She had dozens of others to save. Some people would just have to cope with some severe confusion for the moment.

The number of times she repeated the process began to blur together in her mind. Faces passed like pages of a book. Each time, she was quicker with it. It became as easy as flipping a switch in her, and then they were standing in a completely different location.

To the best of her knowledge, there was only one issue with the guards, but she was too busy to notice exactly what happened. The sounds of a fight were distant and hardly pierced through the wall of concentration in her mind.

She sped down the corridor, stopping at the cells that Scarlett hadn't already visited. As she went, she had to wonder at how Eric Lance was able to rebuild his empire so fast. It had only been two years, and he already had something as big—or perhaps bigger than the Organization had been.

She brushed off the thought as she ran. She didn't have time to ponder. She entered the next room, the door already unlocked and the prisoners inside waiting anxiously for someone to return for them.