Chapter 1 - Brenda

I could hear a thump outside my kitchen door. Of course I had to help whoever it was, they could be hurt. So I stood from the love seat I owned, they were rare in this society, which is why I was thankful I had one.

I opened the door, and saw a child sitting there. Holding their head.

"What happened?" I tried to keep my voice as calm as possible. It felt like the only way I could keep the child calm.

"I- Hit my- head against- your door!" I'll admit they were a little old to be crying that much over bumping their head, but I had to help them nonetheless.

"Do you wanna come in?" I asked, they nodded. So we did just that, I took them in. We talked had cookies. They were a nice kid. "So where's your parents?" I asked. I mean what kind of parents leave a child in a random place? It's just selfish.

The child sat there for a moment, in complete silence, before finally belting out "I've never met them." That's when it hit me, they were human. 

Humans were always selfish, leaving people behind. I didn't hate humans, but I hated their motives. Humans always took what they didn't want and threw it out instead of trying to fix it. Well, at least the thrown out stuff was like hand-me-downs to homeless people, so it wasn't so bad.

"Would you like to live here?" I asked. Again, I'll admit, it was a bit rash to just suddenly ask someone if they wanted to live somewhere with a total stranger. I mean they could be a killer.

To my surprise they nodded. 

We spent days together, training, cooking, talking, I even home schooled them.

"That's when humans realized, they could collect mutant's powers if they killed them. That's why mutants live FAR away from humans," it was one of our home schooling lessons, "We protect ourselves from them by training ourselves and having the most powerful mutants be apart of an army."

Dinner that night was silent, I would ask the human questions. They would cut me off with short little responses. I realized I didn't even the human's name, but they refused to tell me.

I went to bed that night, I could hear the door swing open. I quickly duplicated myself, and kept one of myself in the bed, while I crept underneath it. I saw the child at the doorstep. I could see them take the pillow, and slamming it onto the clones face. It stopped moving, and disappeared.

I quickly grabbed the child's leg, and tugged. Making the fall over. I got out from under the bed. I put my foot on top of their chest so they couldn't get up.

"It's too late to spar child, and by the way, that was a cheap tactic," I smiled and took off my foot, "you want something to eat while we're at it?"

I stepped down the stairs, the child following behind me. I started to make them a sandwich.

Then I could feel the penetration of steel in my stomach, then metallic taste in my mouth, then I fell to the ground. I could feel the chill of the tiled ground.

I could see the child standing above me, "Cheap tactic? I would say this was cheaper. Thanks for the lessons old lady. It helped me figure out how to take over this weak mutant society." They started taking stuff from the fridge, "By the way, the name's Christopher."