Part I • Dirty Blonde

Eugene's POV:

I held up the foam cup and looked around the room, "Shane?" I called and a tall man with a bit of stubble took the drink and walked off.

The shop was basically empty, the only customers we were receiving now were through the drive thru and well Zach was on that.

I just started day dreaming while I waited for something to happen when someone walked in. I looked up to see a man with dirty blonde hair and a courier bag make his way to the counter.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I asked as the man smiled kindly at me and asked for a pumpkin spice latte, "Okay and your name?"

"Ned" he simply responded as he took his wallet out, "The size you want the drink?" I asked as I tapped my fingers on the counter,
"Just a medium please" he replied.

I told him that the drink would cost four dollars, he handed me a five dollar bill and told me to just keep the change. I shrugged it off and gave him his receipt.

He patiently sat down on a booth and took a laptop out of the bag he had and started typing away. I immediately started to make the drink for him and didn't think too much of it.

As I was making his drink I heard Zach come over, "Hey Eugene, do you have some change I can—woah!"

I didn't know what was going on until I was on the ground in pain, Zach had slipped on some melted ice that had fallen on the ground and now the drink I was making was all over the counter and floor.

I got up and helped Zach up and saw that my uniform was completely stained , I looked up to see Ned shocked and making his way over to us.

"Are you guys okay?" He asked looking concerned, "Yeah I'm fine, just gonna take a bit longer to make your drink is all" I calmly said as I went over to the register and gave Zach the change he needed.

Zach was still in shock and just slowly nodded his head as a thank you and slowly walked back to his station, I noticed that Ned didn't go to sit down again and stayed in front of me.

"I'm very sorry for spilling your drink and taking your time sir" I said as I tried making the drink as fast as possible. "No, it's fine but are you sure you're okay? You slammed your body pretty hard to the counter"

I just reassured him that I was completely fine and tried handing him his drink, he told me to give him a moment and he grabbed his wallet again.

I reminded him that he had already payed for the drink but he had already placed another five dollar bill on the counter top and simply said "This is for you"

He grabbed his drink and before I could object he went over to the booth he was sitting in and started packing his laptop inside. I walked over to where he was and tried to return it but he just looked at me and shook his head no while he smiled.

"See you tomorrow" he said as he walked out of the coffee shop. I looked down at the money and wondered about the whole situation. As I walked back to the register Zach looked over at me, "Looks like someone made a new friend" he said with a sly grin on display.

"What? We barely even talked" I chuckled, Zach just told me to wait till tomorrow and see. I just smiled and welcomed the newest customer that had just walked into the small cafe.