ONE

don't forget to vote and comment.

***

"HARRY, WE NEED TO TALK."

The businessman's head immediately tilted up at the words, his ears perking at the blunt voice. He had been mindlessly staring at the book in his thick hands with blank eyes and a wandering mind before his girlfriend interrupted him. He frowned with displeasure, noticing the slow and steady movements of her flicking the stray dark strand of hair from her once-dull blue eyes.

But then, they were strangely vivid.

Harry figured something was wrong.

Charlie traced her wine glass with the tip of her polished nail, her weight standing on one foot while her other hand was placed on her hip. Her exposable black shirt bunched up above her hand, Harry's eyes darting to the exposed skin, but she wasn't worried. She wasn't nervous in the slightest - only eager to get the deed done.

"I've been thinking," she began. "It's just - well, it's not working."

Harry's eyebrows furrowed in confusion before he closed the book and set it aside on the glass table in front of him. He bit down on his swollen lip - the lip that was caught between his girlfriend's teeth only hours ago.

What could be wrong?

"Why?" He questioned with a longing stare as Charlie shifted her weight onto the other foot.

"You're always busy and I'm tired of wasting my time."

"I always make time-"

"No, you don't," Charlie interrupted him, rolling her eyes before she raised her hand up and gazed at her freshly-done nails. "Maybe this time, but I haven't seen or talked to you in two weeks."

The businessman ran a hand through his knotted curls and stood with heavy legs - possibly a heavy heart, too. The man was ungroomed, greasy, and annoyed. He had a long day at the office dealing with the printer not working, a supposedly-published manuscript actually being unpublished and lost, and several other tedious problems. He was a stressed entrepreneur at its finest, and with Charlie wanting to end their long relationship, he was even more burdened.

Charlie wasn't so heartless all the time. She just grew exhausted at the thought of her boyfriend being there for convenience. It was fun in the beginning - romantic dates with the slow, cliched, passionate sex.

Charlie lived for it.

Harry simply longed for it.

"Charlie," Harry murmured, walking uneasily to the woman. "We've been together for over a year. You really wanna throw this all away?"

Charlie Summers answered with no thought.

Harry Styles replied with a throbbing heart.

The two had met at an awkward time - the businessman was indeed infatuated with someone else while the librarian was mending her health.

The librarian had entered and exited an abusive relationship several months before she spotted Harry. Her past lover enjoyed watching her in pain - upset, bruised, and broken. Charlie was exhausted from that lifestyle and abruptly ended it with a broken heart and tattered body.

Harry was there to mend it.

The businessman was in a relationship with one of his employees, and he soon enough discovered that he was not the man he achieved to be. Harry didn't want to date his employee nor be sidetracked in any manner.