The newcomer

Despite Frodo's absence, Sam managed to fall back into his former routine at Bag End: tending the gardens, keeping the account books, visiting Hobbits... He had to deal once again with the Shirrif about a goblin that had been seen around Woody End. It was also an opportunity for him to make sure that the story of the mysterious creature carried away by Sam Gamgee was rather forgotten. He had no doubt, however, that people's tongues must have been wagging in spite of Olo's silence.

Sam's change of mood and return to public life didn't go unnoticed: rumours of his broken engagement to the pretty Rosie Cotton had spread around Hobbiton in just a few days, and the fact that Sam was less somber now than in the past raised a lot of questions. He wasn't paying attention to any of it. He was putting all his energy into getting his life back in order, hoping he could be ready when Frodo agreed to move back into Bag End. He had discussed it with his father: if Frodo demanded that Sam leave the smial, he could return to live with Hamfast.

So, after a few weeks of silence, Sam finally took up his pen to write to his master. He could not let Frodo believe that his absence meant nothing to him.

My dearest Mr. Frodo,

I hope you'll forgive your Sam for not writing to you sooner. Your departure caused me much grief, but I couldn't risk overwhelming you again with my words or my presence. My Gaffer persuaded me not to follow you, and I hope I did well to heed his advice.

There are many things I cannot say here, because I lack the words, and dare not write down what is on my heart.

You should only know that I know I have hurt you; why else would you flee?

I hope that you will come back, that you will forgive this fool who did not know or understand, perhaps, what you wanted from him. I hope that you will live here, in your house that I prepare every day for your return. Do you know, Mr. Frodo, that every flower in my care is longing to be admired by you?

My feet yearn to follow in your footsteps, you only have to say a word, and I'll come running, or bury myself away from you forever. And if you should never forgive me and deny me your affection for good, knowing you are alive, even far from me, will remain the sweetest of comfort.

In the hopes that you will answer me,

Yours faithfully,

Sam Gamgee.

He slipped the letter into an envelope addressed to Frodo, and put that envelope into another, addressed to Merry, so as not to arouse the posthobbit's curiosity. He added a little note to Frodo's cousins, thanking them for taking care of him and giving some news of Hobbiton. He did not mention that he had broken his engagement: these were news he was reluctant to give in writing. He hoped to see them again soon to tell them.

Several days passed, during which Sam waited eagerly for the posthobbit to come by. One morning, he finally saw him running up the road to Bag End, and Sam felt his heart beating in his throat: had Frodo answered him at last?

'Sam!' exclaimed the Hobbit out of breath, 'Tolman sent me, the young one! You have a niece!'

Sam was torn between disappointment and joy.

'Is Mari okay?' he asked as soon as the surprise was over. 'And what's this little one's name?'

'Everyone is well, yes. I was passing by the farm for my regular round when Tom told me the news and asked me to come and find you. It's a little Rosie, he told me.'

The posthobbit looked embarrassed and Sam avoided his gaze. Surely the new parents had wanted to be nice to Tom's sister, who was still upset because of him.