2. Kiss Me

THE STRANGER had lingered on by her side in silence for so long and was beginning to make Emily nervous. When she had staggered into the library with the sole intention of crying her eyes out. She hadn't expected to find someone inside, let alone a gentleman who looked at her as if she was a beautiful woman.

Not that she didn't enjoy the prospect of being stared at by him or being considered pretty she relished every moment of it. Because It wasn't every day that men of the ton stared at her like that. She had always thought it had something to do with her face she was so certain it was her face. She hadn't the type of face men were enamoured by, or so one of them had told her at one time, the worst something about her height seems to put them all off, but as she watched the man in front of her stare at her as if she was a dashing woman, even with the knowledge of how tall she was.

Against her better judgment, Emily's cheeks flushed hot red, and she quickly lowered her eyes to the account book laid in front of her, completely forgotten.

Honestly, who could blame her, not after what she had seen? The man had eyes, the mixture of green and brown, penetrating as if he could see right into her soul. His brows were arched in such a way that made it look like he was frowning, but at the moment it was settled into a flat line.

His nose was pointed and stood proudly on his face, awarding it with a sharp edge to it. And his lips, Emily swallowed. His lips were the type which made her remember she hadn't been kissed in her entire life before and would like to know what it feels like.

Firm sensual lips pressed against her soft ones in the most endearing fashion. Emily supposed it would be wonderful. Not even the Gothic books she liked to read from her brothers' library had helped her understand what it should feel like. It was a thing she had always imagined. She wanted a first-hand experience. The young woman thought.

Staring at those firm lips again, the lower one jutting out most sensually, Emily felt her heart pound wildly at the silly notion that was finding its way up there. An idea born just by looking at those lips and knowing she might end up an old maid without having been kissed before or knowing what it felt like to be kissed by a hot virile man. One full of life.

"You ought not to be here, he said and stood from the desk. Looking a bit uncomfortable as the woman was staring at him. But didn't say anything as he had been doing the same thing a few minutes earlier.

Emily squirmed in her chair as she thought about how to voice the dangerous thoughts that were roaming in her heart. He was moving forward, she noticed, had taken two lazy steps towards the door and if she wasn't fast, he would soon be leaving the library.

Quickly, she sprang up from her chair and turned to hold the edge of the desk in a tight grip. "Kiss me, she said, in a voice so small it barely could be heard. But was strong enough to travel across the thin air. It was aching and breathless and somewhat desperate.

Hadn't Emily been watching him closely she would have thought he didn't hear her? When she had uttered that atrocious request, his back had been to her. He had stiffened, but alas it was only for the briefest of a moment because then, he had continued walking towards the door as if she hadn't said a thing.

Emily clenched her eyes for a moment and gripped her orange gown. It was already out, she had already made the atrocious request, there was no going back now. There was nothing left to lose. If she was going to shame herself, she might as well go all the way. So she had lowered her lashes and whispered,

"Kiss me."

With as much desperation and longing as she could muster. After all, it might be the only proper kiss she would ever receive before she retired to live as an old maid If she fails to secure a husband this season, which was already her fourth season.