Chapter 10: Whatever It Takes

The song above is Whatever It Takes by Imagine Dragons

You can read ahead on Inkitt now. 

Harper's POV

Harper's POV

Later that night, I'm sat on my bed, listening to music when somebody knocks on the door. Without waiting for my permission, they enter the room.

I jolt upright in my bed when my eyes land on Alpha Kaiden. He steps into my room like he owns the place—which he does but that's beside the point—and keeps his eyes on me. He demands obedience without even trying. I begin to wonder what he thinks of his title. He's been claimed the most feared Alpha by many people. Even some of his pack members are totally afraid of him. They tremble at the mere sight of him.

"Alpha?" I question, furrowing my eyebrows together. Why would Alpha Kaiden be in my room at nine o'clock in the evening. He's usually in his room by now, doing pack work.

His eyes roam around my room before setting back on me. "You held back."

My eyes snap to his, briefly widening with shock. What was he talking about?"

"I don't understand," I murmur, casting him a puzzled look.

He sighs, keeping his annoyance at bay and steps closer to me. I'm not intimidated by him—most people would be but not me. I'm simply curious about why he's here and what he wants.

"Today, you held back." He repeats, clearer. "I've seen you train, I know you can do a lot better than that."

I should have seen his doubt. He kept giving me long hard stares after each competition. I should have guessed he would work it out. Alpha Kaiden is smart. To be where he is, he has to be able to read people and figure out their motives.

Now he's going to be wondering why I held back. Aidan must have told him how reluctant I was to do this so he's obviously piecing it all together, trying to work out what's making me act like this.

"You're clearly hiding something." He states, sounding extremely confident. He has every reason to be—he is hitting the nail on the head.

"I—" I pathetically say, a tremor in my voice. I'm shocked by how quickly the fear of being discovered overcomes me. This is what I'm reduced to. If I told Alpha Kaiden who I am, he will have an obligation to hand me in. He has no personal reasons to keep me here. Why would he endanger his pack for me? I wouldn't if the roles were reversed.