/ / 7 / /

Brent pulled his car into the driveway of his house and parked it there.

Kai managed to follow him without getting caught and parked my car two houses away, while making sure that Brent couldn't see my car as Kai knew that Brent could recognize it. As soon as we got out, he pulled me to hide under the bushes where we got the perfect view of Brent's front porch. From here, I could see Brent walking over to a man who was seated on the stairs that led to his front door. I couldn't see who the man was as he was looking down with his face hidden in his palms.

As I was about to interrogate Kai on what we were doing here, shock took over my entire being. Because Brent pulled that man into a hug which finally let me see his face. He is the guy I wish I never met. He is Rylan Evans.

Every single nerve in my body trembled in fear as the memory I tried so hard to destroy, resurfaced. In a split second, it got harder to breathe. But Kai held both of my arms tightly and made me look into his eyes.

"You're okay, Ellie, you're safe here. Do you hear me? You are safe."

I took a deep breath and nodded. Kai hugged me and ran his hands up and down my hair. His act of comfort was assuring and surprising at the same time.

"You okay to get up?"

I nodded and let Kai help me up. We then walked over to my car and got in.

"So, I'm guessing you have a lot of questions."

"I do, but you won't answer them anyway." I said with my eyes fixed on my trembling hands.

"Actually, I will."

I looked at him, surprised. "You will?"

"I will."

"But, I thought you wanted me to see for myself."

"Ellie, not everything can be seen. I can only show you what's out there. But, some things are just not what it seems like. For your previous issue, unfortunately, it was what it looked like. But that doesn't mean everything else is like that. That's why I have to tell you what that really was."

"Then, tell me. Tell me that I didn't just see my cousin who I love so much with that piece of crap who almost ruined my life."

"Unfortunately, I can't tell you that. But I can tell you that your cousin is gonna get his life ruined by that very same guy."

"What?!"

Kai's jaw's clenched. "Rylan is taking his revenge on you by going out with your gay cousin when he's straight. And he plans to break his heart in front of a huge crowd so that he gets publicly humiliated."

I was speechless. "This actually happened before? And I was completely unaware?"

"It's not your fault, Ellie. Brent didn't want you to know what happened."

"But I remember him coming to me and even breaking down in front of me. He only told me that he broke up with his boyfriend and didn't say anything else."

"Brent didn't know the break-up was because of Rylan's stupid revenge at that time. He confronted Rylan about it afterward because it was so sudden and he told him everything. When he found out, he was devastated. But, he was more devastated about the fact that something like that happened to you."

"Oh my God." I said while unable to believe that this actually happened. Kai placed his hand on my cheek and wiped away my tears. Was I crying?

"You're given a second chance to save Brent, will you do it?"

I looked at Kai with determination. "I will."

—><—

I was beyond nervous.

I was about to face the guy who I really didn't want to see again. But, I have to do this for Brent. I chose to meet him at the park because it's always crowded and that mean that I'm safe.

"Never thought I'd hear from you again but here we are. Hey, Bella."

My heart rate immediately increased out of fear and anxiety as I heard his voice. But I masked my emotions and put up a indifferent expression. "Hey, Rylan."

He sat beside me and I felt my hands started to tremble again. "So, what's up"

I took a deep breath before I began. "Why are you dating Brent when you're straight?"

"Ah, you know. But, you know nothing about me." He smirked.

"I know you well enough to see that you're dating my cousin as a revenge plot just because I wouldn't have sex with you."

"You fucking bitch!" He shouted as he faced me. "So full of yourself! Let me remind you that you fucking insulted me in front of everyone at that party! You're such a wimp who can't even handle a few touches-"

I slapped him and stood up. "I'm a wimp? I insulted you? You almost raped me! I only called you out for what you did! And now, you're toying with a guy! My cousin! I kept my mouth shut about what you did to me but I won't have you walk all over Brent's heart and reputation."

"And you think he will believe you?" He scoffed. "Dream on, Bella."

"Actually, I will." Brent said as he walked over to my side.

"What the fuck? You trapped me! You bitch!" Rylan raised his hand like he was going to strangle me. But, Brent grabbed him and punched him in the face.

"You come near me, Bella or anyone close to us ever again, I swear I'll beat you to death, you hear me?!"

Rylan nodded in fear and ran away. He has always been a coward like that. One who couldn't handle a single punch but acts like he could. Although I have to admit, if he puts his mind to something, he will go to no ends to achieve it. And that is the scariest part about Rylan. But I'm sure Brent has scared him off. He must have known what Brent is capable off and that the fact that his father is a cop. Rylan tried his luck and managed to ruined Brent's life once. I'm glad that I was able to stop him and save Brent from that disgusting piece of crap. I looked at Brent and hugged him while I let my tears fall.

"I'm so sorry Brent, I never expected this to happen, it's all my fault."

"Hey, it's not. None of this is your fault. I should have done more damage to him for what he did to you. Why didn't you tell me, Bella?"

"I couldn't. I was so scared he would find me and do something to me if I told people. I'm so sorry." I cried harder into his chest.

"He can't do anything to you now, okay? I won't allow him. I've got your back, Bella."

"I love you, Brent."

"Love you too, cous."

Still in Brent's arms, I could see Kai standing a few feet away, smiling at me. A smile that could light up a thousand hearts—mine definitely included.

I couldn't help but smile back at him.

For the first time since Kai entered my life, I was happy to see him. Undeniably and truly happy.