57. gryffindor versus ravenclaw

     IT LOOKED LIKE THE END OF RON AND HERMIONE'S FRIENDSHIP

IT LOOKED LIKE THE END OF RON AND HERMIONE'S FRIENDSHIP. Each was so angry with the other that Harper couldn't see how they'd ever make it up.

Ron was enraged that Hermione had never taken Crookshanks's attempts to eat Scabbers seriously, hadn't bothered to keep a close enough watch on him and was still trying to pretend that Crookshanks was innocent by suggesting Ron look for Scabbers under all the boys' beds.

Hermione, meanwhile, maintained fiercely that Ron had no proof that Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers, that the ginger hairs might have been there since Christmas, and that Ron had been prejudiced against her cat ever since Crookshanks had landed on Ron's head in the Magical Menagerie.

Harper decided not to pick a side. She didn't want to lose both her friends and that's why she was comforting Ron at the moment together with Fred, George, Ginny and Harry.

"Come on, Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was," Fred said bracingly. "And he's been off-color for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly. One swallow — he probably didn't feel a thing."

"Fred!" Ginny said indignantly.

"All he did was eat and sleep, Ron, you said it yourself," George said.

"He bit Goyle for us once!" Ron said miserably. "Remember, Harry?"

"Yeah, that's true," Harry said.

"His finest hour," Fred said, unable to keep a straight face. "Let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory. Oh, come on, Ron, get yourself down to Hogsmeade and buy a new rat. What's the point of moaning?"

In a last-ditch attempt to cheer Ron up, Harry and Harper persuaded him to come along to the Gryffindor team's final practice before the Ravenclaw match, so that he could have a go on the Firebolt after they'd finished. This did seem to take Ron's mind off Scabbers for a moment ('Brilliant! Can I try and shoot a few goals on it?') so they set off for the Quidditch pitch together.

Madam Hooch, who was still overseeing Gryffindor practices to keep an eye on Harry, was just as impressed with the Firebolts as everyone else had been. She took Harry's broom in her hands before take-odd and gave it the benefit of her professional opinion.