Break On Me

There'll be days your heart don't wanna beat. You pray more than you breathe. And you just wanna fall to pieces.

I stare out the windshield of my car and let the lyrics sink it. Today has been one of those days. Days where I just want the world to swallow me whole. Where my heart hurts so bad I literally don't want it to beat. Where I wanna fall to pieces. I let the Keith Urban song play wishing to god that I had a chest right now that I could lean in. As if the universe hears my pleas my cell rings. Chase flash's on the screen. Pulling over I wipe my face dry and clear my throat to steady my breathing.

"Hel, hello." Crap my voice cracked.

"Lana darlin where are you?" The concern in his voice breaks the damn again. Tears stream down my face again.

"Chase." I say but sobs take over.

"Listen to me sweetheart where are you? Give me the last turn you made." I look out my car to see I am at the parking lot of the Amicalola Falls State Park, why I don't know they aren't even open.

"Amicalola Falls."

"I'll be right there." The phone goes dead. I turn my car off and lean my forehead against the steering wheel. The events of today playing over and over in my head. The feeling of depression, anxiety and hurt fills me to the point where I feel like I am going to burst. My seams coming undone and I feel like I am falling over the edge. What does one do when they feel like their world is crumbling? When they feel like it's another merry go round of drama and stress? When they feel like life isn't moving forward but always stuck in the past? When people won't change? When they make promises and break them? When your stuck at home with all the reminders of them things? A tapping on my window makes me jump. I look out to see Chase standing in the pouring rain by my drivers side window. With shaky hands I unlock the door and Chase gathers me in his arms. New sobs over take me and I cling to him . My hands balling the fabric of his wet shirt in my fingers.

"I couldn't do it anymore Chase, being quarantined with them, it's too much. The fighting, the lies everything." Chase rubs my back and kisses the side of my head.

"Come on let's get you out of here." Chase then pushes me away from the safety of his arms. I reach over to the passenger seat and grab my purse then stepping out into the warm, rainy Georgia night. Locking my car up Chase and I make a mad dash for his Tahoe where I jump into the passenger seat. Once on the road I feel myself starting to relax but the pain is still there. Chase's cell rings and he answers.

"I have her Tina." My Sister.

"Yeah I'll be over tomorrow to get some of her things and her car is at the Park. Thanks for calling me." Then he hangs up. So that's how he knew, Tina called him. I guess after I had my little out burst and left, she called him.

The ride to his house was silent,  not even the radio playing. The rain had turned in a light shower by the time we pulled up to his house. Getting out I follow him to the front door then inside. Fletch greets us with a wagging tail and a few licks of my hand before following after Chase. I go into living room but not wanting to get his sofa wet I stand awkwardly.

"Here you can change into this while I dry your clothes." He hands me one of his Atlanta Braves T-shirts and pair of draw string shorts. With a nod of thanks I go to the downstairs bathroom where I strip out of the wet clothes and into his dry ones. Even though it's like four sizes to big, it feels like slipping into a warm cocoon of safety and peace. Lifting the fabric up to my nose I inhale Chase's scent of musk, vanilla and orange. A scent that calms my rattled nerves. His shorts I have to draw the strings as tight as I could so they don't fall off. Grabbing a towel I grab my clothes and head back out, running the towel through my hair. When I reach the living room Chase takes my wet clothes and puts a warm mug in my hand.