Short Story

24 hours earlier

"We are doing WHAT?!?" I screamed at my dad.

"I said we are moving. It’s when we take all of our things and put them in a new house and then live there." He told me in a mocking tone.

"I know what moving is. But why??" I was floored. I had just gotten home from Devyn’s house where we had our last day of summer “ritual.”

"There's not enough wer- work around here. Look I got a better job that will pay enough for me to save up instead of living month to month."

"Fine. I'm going to make sure all my stuff for school is ready." What can I say? I actually value my knowledge, so I wanna make sure I have a pen and notebook.

"Wait, there’s more. We are moving in 2 days so there's no need for you to go to school tomorrow." That ladies and gentlemen is when I, Klarissa Chase, fainted for the first time in my life... Just kidding!

I sat down and after a few moments asked,"Is there anyway I can get out of this? Can't I use Devyn and her parents' address to stay in the same district? I could-"

"Klay," said,"I don't think you understand. We aren't moving just a few miles away. We're moving to California." My jaw dropped.

"So there's no getting out of this one then, is there?" My dad shook his head and I sighed, "Well, I guess Devyn and I have work to do. I have an idea and The Prankster needs to make a farewell appearance!"

He chuckled, "Alright baby, don't end up in jail," he called after me as I ran to my room to grab my phone. Yes, my dad knows about my pranking habits. School is just too easy and boring; this gives me entertainment. Besides The Prankster has never been caught.

"KC, I know it's you. There's no point in blocking your number." Devyn answered.

"Hiya Ms. Prissy Pants! I must have forgotten to turn Caller I.D. back on after prank calling last night. I still can't believe they fell for it! Those perps thought we were really a secret anti-bullying department of the FBI!" I replied.

"Baby Asswipe! Focus! Why are you calling me when we saw each other literally an hour ago?" Yes she called me Baby Asswipe. She's my bestfriend. We have weird nicknames, okay?

"Umm.. Yeaaah... Well we kind of have a sitch and I don't think you're going to like it..." I gave her the story and she had a similar reaction to mine.

"YOU'RE WHAT?!?!? WHERE?!?! WHEN?!?! WHY THE HELL ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS NOW?! I’M GOING TO KIDNAP YOU AND KEEP YOU IN A BOX." She screamed through the phone.

"Moving. California. Two days. I found out an hour ago. So with that being said, does your sister still have that blue body suit from Halloween?" I asked impatiently.

"I grabbed it the other out of the garage sale pile the other day," She said, "You got a going away party planned?"

"Yep. Hey, what do you think of  The Trickster?" I asked.

“Sounds cool. Why?”

“No reason. Bring the bodysuit with you.”

"Be there in ten.” We both hung up.

I went up to my room and grabbed window paint, the industrial sized roll of saran wrap, my lock picking set, stink bombing kit, a bag of stuff leftover from last year's pranks, and  my trusty green suit. Devyn pulled up in her '86 Chevy truck just as I reached the front door. Together we brought the supplies to her truck and left for the nearest Wal-Mart.

"What else do we need?" I asked her.

"You know my idea with the flour, right? I think we should use that. I also grabbed the signal jammer that the Science Club gave me, and my camcorder." She told me her plan and I added it to mine. This was going to be epic.