Soldier x Reader: Fallen Soldier

hello.

yes, i've heard the news. sorry about the extreme delay, i took my sweet time with this to make it good enough as a tribute for Soldier's VA, Rick May. i actually cried while i was writing this, so,,,, i hope u like it.

also i kinda got lazy at the end (i finished at 1am), apologies!

stay home and wash ur hands, lovelies. ✌️

--

You ran as fast as you could. Your legs were exhausted since you were battling all day, but you ignored the stinging feeling. Your heart pounded harshly against your chest as you skipped through hallways and turned sharply into corners. Why did the base have to be so big?! It was like a never-ending maze.

After what felt like forever, you found yourself coming to a halt in front of a pair of doors. Each door had Medic's logo, and two windows just slightly above. For some reason, the windows weren't even transparent, they had this dulled color which covered what was happening inside. You gritted your teeth at the thought of having no idea of what could be possibly happening. You took deep breaths before entering the room, your eyes meeting the most horrible sight you've ever seen in your entire life.

Soldier, your one and only love, was laid out on a mattress while the German doctor stood beside him, holding his arm so cautiously. His helmet was removed, utterly exposing his face that had splatters of blood everywhere. You almost choked, you couldn't bear to see your lover in a state like this. Medic didn't seem to notice your presence as he continued to put all sorts of things onto Soldier's arm, "Oh mein gott, vhat did zhey even do to you?!" He panicked, spatting out some curses in German. His hands were visibly shaking from the nervousness, you've never seen the doctor like this either and it nearly made you tear up.

"Do- Doc." You called out. "Wh- What happened?" Your voice came out as a desperate squeak, and Medic finally brought his head towards you. His hair was all messed up and his glasses were crooked, "Oh, fräulein! Vhat- vhat are you doing here?" He asked with a nervous smile on his face. Even in a situation like this, he could pull up a smile. You felt like it was supposed to reassure you that everything was going fine, but you just couldn't feel it. You frowned, opposite of what he has on his face, "I heard what happened. Everyone was freaking out about it."

Medic laughed awkwardly at your response. "Ah, vell, I knew you'd find out at some point." He said, with a much sadder tone in his voice. "His respawn chip was damaged. It's hard to fix it since it's…vell, in his brain." He stared at Soldier, who had his eyes closed as if he was sleeping peacefully, and then brought his eyes to you. "It's risky to take it out. He'll probably die during the procedure." The way he looked at you and spoke to you — it was like he was trying to apologize to you. You realized what he meant and balled up your fists.

"Can't you do anything about it?!" Rather than being surprised at your sudden outburst, the German doctor merely sighed and shook his head. Your eyes widened, feeling your heart break into pieces. "No, no! That- that can't be! Maybe Engie can make some kind of machine where—"

“No, fräulein. I'm afraid zhat will take days to make."

He interrupted before you even got to finish your statement. Your arms dropped at your sides in defeat, you couldn't fight with the doctor since you had no knowledge about medicine or whatsoever. You scrunched up your face and cried off at the spot, warm tears falling down from your cheeks and loud sobs escaping from your lips. You glared at the tiled floor as your tears dropped in various ways. It was like thousands of spears struck you through the chest, leaving a huge bomb of sadness in your heart instead of killing you. It was the worst feeling, worse than the pain you had when you first started rocket jumping with Soldier.

Medic was troubled by what to do, he was never good at interacting with people and seeing you sob in front of him made him tense up. Nevertheless, he gathered the courage to approach you and pat you on the shoulder at least. You looked up, though your vision was slightly blurry, you could see the apologetic look on his face. The emotion behind it made you tear up even more, and Medic, surprised, grabbed both of your shoulders and tightened his grip. "(Y/n), you'll be fine. You can live even vizhout Soldier." His words rang through your ears, you came to your senses as you sniffled.

Wiping away the tears, you nodded, "Right, right…" Medic let out a sigh of relief once you stopped crying, but it didn't last long when you heard a loud grunt coming from the side. You and Medic whipped your heads towards the noise, and to see Soldier waking up, a quick rush of happiness went through your veins and you immediately ran to him. "I'll give you some privacy." Said the German doctor as he walked to the door, you thanked him before he left the scene.

You watched quietly as Soldier finally opened his eyes, the very first thing he set his attention to, was your face. "Why are you crying, cupcake? Did those maggots hurt you again?!" You were taken aback at his question, but you laughed it off. "What? No, I'm fine! You're…" The smile on your face disappeared as you trailed off. "You're the one who's hurt here."

Soldier didn't seem to understand your question, as he raised a brow at you. "Me? I would never get hurt! Just watch!" He remarked, attempting to sit up, but once he did, he ate his words back. Pain shot through his head and he laid back down with a loud groan. You lightly scolded him, which he cheekily laughed at. But you couldn’t be angry at him, it was such a delight to you that he was still able to lighten up the mood even in a drastic condition. “Seriously, though! Whatever you're crying for is not worth it, pumpkin!" Your heart sank at his words — HE was the one you were crying for — and tears started streaming down your face again.

You took his hand in yours, placing it near to your face, as if you were trying to give it a healing kiss. But you knew that wouldn't work, you simply closed your eyes as you wept. You felt his grip tighten around yours.

"Hey, what's that white light over there?"

No.

That couldn't be it.

"Soldier…" You whispered, your breath hitched as soon as you mentioned his name out. You knew what he was talking about, but you didn't want to believe it. It was too soon, too early. Soldier brought his other hand to your cheek, you opened your eyes to the soft touch and slightly moved away the hand you were already holding. Unlike earlier, he had a much gentler expression. His smile was fairly weak, and his eyes were giving you the most beautiful sparkles. He ran his thumb through your cheek, basically wiping your tears away.

"Stop crying now, will you? I'm still here."

The smile on his face grew larger, emitting the bravest and courageous flash you've ever seen.

"I'll always be here."

You sobbed so hard as you listened, it felt like your chest was going to pop out with so much emotion and overfill the room with it. You dropped to your knees, still keeping your grip around his hand, but then you felt it loosen up. And that was it.

He's gone.

"I love you, Soldier. I always will."