Chapter 12

My pelt lifted as my suspicion grew even more. Primrosepetal and her sister, Rosemarylight, along with their father, Mahoganyshade and Hawkpaw and Leopardpaw's mother, Goldwind all stepped forward, exchanging worried glances.

Behind them, the elderly mates Dappledust and Stemstripe struggled to their paws.

They're both too old and weak to travel that far now, I reflected.

Pinesplash looked up from where her newborn kits were suckling at the nursery entrance, her ears drooping with exhaustion. Next to her, Cindertail, her belly very round with kits that were due any day now, didn't move.

"Eclipsestar," she called, "Pinesplash and I weren't at the gathering because of our kits. We were both in the den the entire time, with each other to vouch for us. Would you really make us come to you?"

Eclipsestar's lips curled for a moment in a snarl, but then he smiled and meowed silkily, "You two may stay. And the elders. The four of you wouldn't be a threat to a fully trained warrior," he added softly.

Cindertail narrowed her eyes in disapproval at the direct insult, but closed her jaws that were about to protest, clearly deciding it was best to stay silent.

"I was sorting herbs while you were gone, Eclipsestar," Honeyblossom called. Our leader glared at her.

"Stand next to the rest of them," he snapped, his meow dripping with unspoken threat. Honeyblossom hesitantly padded forward, eyes wide with fear.

Eclipsestar's gaze scanned the crowd, and once he was certain that no one else hadn't attended the gathering, he turned his fierce gaze back to Honeyblossom and the rest of my Clanmates who hadn't gone to the gathering.

"You are all suspected for the murder of Leafwhisker!" he snarled, leaping down from the willow stump and padding up to Mahoganyshade, who met his glare evenly.

I pressed closer to Creekfall. I had never seen Eclipsestar this angry.

"Leafwhisker was one of my closest friends. She was like a mother to my daughters after my mate died! How dare you accuse us of such a thing?" Mahoganyshade hissed, his unsheathed claws digging into the soft earth.

"Your daughters 'discovered' her body!" Eclipsestar spat, then moved to stand in front of Goldwind.

The gold she-cat's pelt was bristling in fear. "Leafwhisker and I raised our kits together," she stammered, "I would never hurt her, I swear."

Goldwind's mate, Lightstep, took a pace forward. "Goldwind wouldn't hurt any of her Clanmates!" he called.

Goldwind blinked at him gratefully. Beside Lightstep, their kits, Hawkpaw and Leopardpaw, had lost their fire and were pressed against each other, terrified for their mother.

I felt a twinge of pity. They must be so scared right now, I thought with a small shake of my head.

Honeyblossom hissed and darted between Eclipsestar and Goldwind, and, turning to face the gray and white tom, snarled, "Leave her alone! You're our leader! Stop bullying us!"

Suddenly Eclipsestar lifted a paw and struck his senior medicine cat across her muzzle. "Yes. I am your leader. My word is the warrior code. StarClan gave me nine lives, not you. So you will not defy me-unless you want to defy StarClan?" he asked. Honeyblossom's glare intensified but she didn't respond, only flicked out her tongue and lapped at the blood that was oozing down her chin.

"Fine, O Great Leader," Mahoganyshade hissed, "what are you going to do to us?"

Eclipsestar didn't even acknowledge the insult as his lips curled in a grin. "You, your daughters, Goldwind, and this rebellious medicine cat, are all exiled."