Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Akirio had taken a boat to Adelais, the capital city of Zaran. The entire country of Zaran was covered in waterways, all leading into the center, to the capital. There were no carriages or horses in Adelais. They were far too big to fit along the streets and narrow bridges that spanned the canals. Most if not all of the waterways were clear and clean so much so that you could see to the bottom. Akirio smiled, remembering good days when he had waded in the shallow parts of those canals, kept clean by a group of water magi, hunting for the little clams at the bottom. He had heard stories that the tiny shellfish sometimes had little pearls in them that could be sold for a little extra money.  He gently poled the barge along the canal, navigating the waters skillfully. It was good to finally be back in his homeland, where everyone spoke the same language and he didn’t have to dredge up lessons with the old thief again. Where he knew his way around the towns and hamlets as well as any traveler.

The Palatio del Ferrum loomed in front of him, gray stone walls challenging him. He left the small craft by the edge of the canal, stepping out and onto the walkway. He had changed into more regal looking attire for this event, the coronation of Rollistar. His shirt a fine blue cotton brocade embroidered in white with a high collar as was fashion these days and his hair was slicked back out of his eyes with rose oil. Expensive stuff rose oil. He had to search in the canal a couple of times for enough pearls to buy a vial of the grease. The shoulders were slightly spiked up on the brocade, giving him an almost taller than life appearance. He wore black pants unlike the typical breeches and hose of the more esteemed pompous nobles and simple black leather boots. He carried Firebane at his hip, still sheathed in its ornate scabbard and wore white silk gloves. The gloves would become more of a nuisance if he had to fight, but hopefully, it wouldn’t come to blows. The sentry at the gate asked for his invitation, which he presented with a flourish. He had forged the note before coming. Perks of having trained under a master thief. The sentry let him pass with a wave of his hand and he breathed a sigh of relief. From here, he just had to act noble, act important. The invitation he had given the guard bore the name Baron Cesare Alezzo. A baron wasn’t a high enough rank to draw any major attention and he could pass unrecognized by most higher and lower nobles. The grand oak doors opened and he stepped inside the palace. There was a number of exotic foods and drinks laid out on the tables as well as some more common fare. Akirio picked up a glass of a dark blue wine. He had only tasted Natsian blue wine once when his mentor had an emissary from the region brought into his home. This must have been a better vintage than last time. Its flavors were stronger, and there were hints of rose and cactus fruit flowing between the more prominent, tangy flavor of the Gaaldu berries the drink was made from. He ate and drank, mingling with nobles here and there, only having two glasses of wine before drinking the hot, creamy tea offered. He didn’t drink tea often, preferring coffee, but coffee was for mornings and he had to keep his head clear lest something unexpected happen and he be unprepared for it.

“Lord Alezzo? That you?” A noble wearing a thick pair of spectacles approached him.

Akirio froze. How did this man know him? He had certainly never seen him before.

“Yes, my good man. Might I ask who you are?” He tried to keep the nervousness out of his voice.

“Gilom the Weak-Sighted, a simple man invited by his majesty to attend.” He leaned closer to Akirio, “Don’t worry, I’m a friend. Do you remember the name Nagarro?”

“Yes, he was an assassin for hire I worked with a few times. I saved his life and he believed he was personally indebted to me.”

“He heard that you were coming here. I’m merely someone that’s looking out for you if you stir up trouble.”