Trouble Brewing

Olivia would find, as she followed Lydia's swaying blonde hair, that The Institute was a maze. Whether that was by design, or simply a product of expansion was unknown. What was known, was that without a doubt she would end up lost more days than not. With every twist and turn the two girls took they both stepped closer to their own fates, setting in motion a web of events no one could have predicted.

Arriving at the now opened door, Olivia gasped. Before her was a large office, the first thing to catch her eye was a fireplace. It was covered in beautiful interlocking swirls and a mark that she had seen on many things inside the building so far, including the Shadowhunters. The bright roaring fire was more than a little inviting. It was the very picture of a good place to read a book. Though the long leather couch in the center of the room was not as inviting.

The left side of the room was all windows. With french doors that lead out to a balcony. Buttry sunlight filtered into the room, giving it a soft glow. The afternoon sun eliminating the need for any lights.

"It's really something isn't it." Lydia spoke softly, so as not to startle the awed girl.

Olivia turned in the direction of the other women's voice, embarrassed at her staring, only to be momentarily lost in the stained glass window. Behind the large desk was an image of an angel, sword in hand. The purples and blues make it appear as if it was rising from water. Blushing when her eyes refocused, she took the seat across the desk.

Lydia found the awe from the mundane rather endearing. She herself remembered the first time she had gone into an Institute main office. It had been the start of her dream of running one. And she still would, someday. Though she wished sometimes she could return to the innocent days of her own awe.

"How are you recovering? Do you feel as though you have any need to be re-examined?"

"Sore. I'm sure my shoulder and ribs will be aching for a few days... Other than that I feel fine."

Lydia smiled and nodded before she became a bit more serious. Steeling herself to question the still healing girl. She could only hope that this would go over well, no one needed the Clave to come down on an innocent young woman who, yesterday had no idea they existed. Even if it didn't always seem like it she wanted to help, not hurt.

"Now, I need to ask you a few questions. I'd like you to answer them as best you can. Starting with what do you remember from last night?" Lydia asked, after she had confirmed that Olivia understood her.

Olivia took a deep breath in the hopes she could speak without crying. She had done more than enough of that today. She talked about going on a run. How she just wanted to clear her head, of all the now not so crazy things she had seen over her life. It may not have been the safest way of doing things, but it was better than telling anyone and having them think her more crazy than normal.

Olivia spoke about how she had run down an ally meeting the two Ravner demons. And that she had been saved by the opening of the back door into the ally.

"Two? Two demons attacked you? Are you sure?" Lydia asked, concerned.

"Ya it was two. One stepped out in front of me and spoke to me. When his eyes changed... I backed up. A second man, well demon, grabbed me. I looked up at him and his face had opened up, and when I looked back at the other, his had too. So ya two." Fear and disgust coated Olivia's voice.

"Only one demon was found and killed last night, Alec killed it. If there's a second one, then it may be looking for you. I'll have to send out a team to be sure that it's gone."

Lydia's mind was going over all the possibilities of them not knowing of a second demon. She hoped that this was just a normal demon attack and not one of Valentine's plans. Because nothing good could come of this if it was.

After getting a bit more information on her attack, as well as Olivia's address, the two girls moved on to their next item of business. Alec.

"So, I have to ask, how did you and Alec meet? It seems odd to me he would have a mundane friend. Though I'll be the first to admit there's a lot I don't know about him...?"

"Oh! That's an easy one, I met Alec in Central Park when I was seven and he was eight... I just kinda adopted him from then on. But we haven't seen each other since he was twelve."

Ah, Lydia thought, so he gave up his friendship with her when he got his first rune. That made sense, up to that point he was still mostly a kid. After that though he would start taking on missions and training even more. Non-Shadowhunter friends would have no place in his life then. And knowing Alec it would have also gone against his loyalty to his family and the Clave. Poor girl, she would have lost her friend and had no idea why.

The two women spoke for a few more minutes, before Lydia came to the decision that Olivia would stay the night. She could leave the following morning, after they were sure it was safe. Though she was less than happy to be told she was staying, she was happy she would get the time to see both Alec and Isabelle again.

A young man who seemed to have been guarding the door, something Olivia missed when she had first entered, was ordered to take her back to Alec and Isabelle. Seth, was also given orders to organize and lead a team to locate the second demon.

As the two made their way to the end of the short hall, rounding a corner Olivia was all but knocked over.

"Wow! Are you ok? I hope I didn't hurt you."

Shoulder and ribs aching in protest of her recent impact, Olivia looked up from the arms that were keeping her on her feet. Meeting the light blue gaze of an older, but still rather good looking man. He could only be a Shadowhunter, as it seemed everyone here but her was. However, something was different about this man. He didn't hold himself like the others, with pride and more self respect then was probably needed. Though he stood tall, back straight he looked beaten. As though some part of himself had been lost or taken from him.

"Hodge, man, you have to be more careful, she's that mundane from last night. Lydia would kill me if she got hurt again when I'm in charge of her." Seth interrupted Olivia's thoughts on the other man.

"Lydia in her office?"

"Ya she said she's heading back to Idris today. If you need to talk to her you'd better do it now."

"I hope you get to feeling better. I'm sorry I ran into you, but if you'll excuse me?" Hodge rubbed a hand over the angry red circle on his neck before leaving the two alone again.

Though Olivia found the whole thing odd she quickly put it from her mind in favor of questioning Seth.

"What's a mundane?" She asked, having heard the word before.

With that the two walked off down the hall, unknowingly leaving a traitor behind.

*****

Lydia leaned her head against the heavy door of her office. Though she was more than happy for Alec and Magnus she couldn't help but mourn the life she and Alec could have had together. She knew he would never love her, but the truth was she didn't have it in her heart to love him either. She was broken, and she wasn't sure if the hole in her heart would ever heal. And maybe that's why she let herself think of a life that was more than just work with him. Because they were both hiding behind each other.

Taking a deep breath she straightens up and with purpose moves to the safe that is hidden in the wall. Returning to Idris for a few days would be good for her. Space from those who could have been her family would be nice. Though a part of her was a bit sad she wouldn't have more time to get to know Olivia. She felt that she and the other blonde could be real friends if life would allow.

Her stele traced over the rune on the safe, which when opened revealed the Mortal Cup. Removing the Cup for the safety of the safe and admiring it. Really it was just as beautiful as she had been told when she was a child. Just as she was turning away from the wall a sharp blow to the head knocked Lydia to the ground. Her eyes began to glaze over, darkness closing in. The last thing she saw was a man's hand picking up the Cup.