Chapter 11

"You hold it like this." Bard explained, lifting his own bow up as he held it in a manner to which she could copy easily.

Sylwen watched him intently, her gaze examining his form, feeling slightly flustered from the obvious staring before she turned her attention back to her own bow, attempting to mimic his example.

The pair had been at their current activity for awhile now. When they arrived at dock, the barrels from Mirkwood that he was expecting hadn't arrived yet, so they decided to work on Sylwen's archery practice in the meantime.

Bard could tell that she was a natural at handling the bow, her form was perfect but she seemed a little distracted as she struggled, unable to concentrate properly. Chuckling lightly to himself, he leaned his bow against a nearby tree before walking over to where she was standing.

"Let me show you." He offered, stepping behind her as he slid his arms under her own, lifting them so they were at the right angle. His hands cupped hers, in an attempt to stop her trembling.

His chest was pressed against her back, leaving barely any space between the two.

Sylwen's breath hitched in her throat as she felt Bard step behind her, goosebumps arising beneath her clothes as he pressed himself against her, holding her hands as he tried to direct her properly. But her mind had long forgotten about the lesson.

Sylwen found herself becoming increasingly aware of his breath ghosting across her neck, the way his body wrapped around her own, the entire concept could be considered almost intimate.

Time seemed to slow, Sylwen's voice caught in her throat as she felt Bard drop his arms from her own finally, instead resting his hands on her waist. A slight tug caught her off guard as she turned around without a word, letting her arms drop to her side as she looked up at him. Her bow lost to the grass beneath them.

The look in his eyes almost startled her as the heat returned to her cheeks in a rush. She couldn't even begin to describe the look in his eyes, but in that moment, the emotions that were portrayed through his dark gaze, she felt that she hadn't been the only one with these feelings towards him.

Bard stared down at the woman before him, unable to tear his gaze away from her. He wasn't sure what had come over him in that moment, his hands holding her tightly. His body almost seemed to act on its own accord, though he offered no resistance as he took the initiative, his hand sliding up before it rested against her neck, his gaze dropping to her lips.

Sylwen didn't dare move, her heartbeat loud in her ears as she watched the distance between them diminish by the second. Allowing herself to fall into the moment, her eyes fell closed as her hands grasped at the edge of his coat.

Just as she felt the promise of kiss against her lips, she suddenly felt Bard pull away sharply, startling her as her eyes snapped open. Rejection stung at her, a lump forming in her throat as she tore her gaze from him.

"S-Sorry." She quickly murmured, embarrassed as she tried to take a step away from him, but his grip held fast on her, not allowing her to move.

"Shh.." Bard murmured, pulling her against him tightly, his eyes peeling on the bush ahead of him.

The faint sound of splashing came from the direction of the river, and he could make out several different voices as well, causing his eyebrows to furrow slightly.

"Stay here." He told her, looking down at her as he saw the confusion written across her face. He smiled softly, giving her a light squeeze before letting her go. He grabbed his bow and arrows, having one at the ready before quietly making his way through the bush towards the river.