4th June 2012

It should surprise him that after a major revelation of family secrets, the Hunter would do something so normal as to go out for pizza and drinks with her friends. He shook his head, leaving her to get ready and appearing in the office of his longest, and often his only companion she finished her report before looking at him. 

There was something about his whole demeanour that had her instantly frowning. In the blink of an eye, the old woman charade vanished and the otherworldly figure took her place. She felt it made her more intimidating, but the reality was he'd be more open with her this way. Something had happened, or was about to happen; she was sure of it.

"You've been quiet lately, why do I get the feeling you've been avoiding me?" Portia asked, sitting back in the chair.

"I did something today. You can expect a visit soon." Cain moved along the bookcase, idly browsing the first editions the oracle had collected over the centuries.

Portia didn't need to ask who from, that much was obvious. The why, well she internally cursed her second sight for not being more reliable these days. A warning was always nice when needing to interact with that Hunter and also the man before her.

"Oh?" She waited for him to say more, only he didn't. "And what am I to tell her then, when she stops by?"

"I told her what you saw. About the battle that would allow me to go home and how she came with me. That she belongs in that world.  You should have seen the seance they set up, attempting to speak to Alistair Bunting. Ridiculous. Of all the-"

"What did she say when you told her that?" Portia interrupted, unable to hide her alarm.

"I think she was more caught up in the fact she was never meant to be born, and how you broke the curse for the Bunting family to be graced with the first baby girl in generations."

"You didn't?" The Oracle gasped.

Cain shrugged. "The psychic started it."

"Cain, what I saw, what we know, the path we walk changes. Who even know if any of this is even certain? Telling her, what were you thinking?" She scolded.

In all honesty, she didn't need her visions or for him to tell her. It was obvious he hadn't been thinking, that Elise had managed to do or say something for him to confide in her as he so often seemed to do. 

"I don't like Logan. There is something about him, I just can't work it out. He wasn't as in bad shape as we all pretend he was that night. Yes, his neck was broken, but I am positive it had already healed or at my touch healed itself. I barely used any energy to bring him back."

"That's beside the point." Portia huffed. "Cain, focus. You've come so far. We've come so far. Forget the Tracker. Do not do what I think you are doing. You're getting reckless!"

He ignored her, moving to look out the window as a small, fragment of lightning raced across the sky, so fast he wasn't even sure if he knew what he was seeing. Turning back to Portia, her eyes had glazed over as her body appeared to freeze. A second later she shivered, snapping out of the trance and as their eyes met, she nodded.

"Go." She ordered, only he was already gone.

___________

Another flashback... just not from as far back as the last one.... this was from Book 3 - Cursed as I was doing a little re-read the other night and turns out I must have been thinking something like this could happen as Cain/Portia hint at it a few times! 

Plus, I didn't know what else to put so yeah.....

Anyway, back to the story.