24 | insecure

c h a c e

○R: we're leaving! Don't work too late!! I'll see you later tonight <333

R: we're leaving! Don't work too late!! I'll see you later tonight <333

C: Kay babe, have fun. Be careful <3

R: just wanted to let you know im doing a bit of blow tonight.....

The text sends my stomach plummeting straight into the ground. How long have they been gone? When did they leave? I check the time. Barely seven and she's doing drugs. They're doing drugs. I know they are. Tyler wouldn't let her use without wanting to join in. It never takes him long to get right back into his addiction, and he's bound to spiral less than a month into it.

Groaning, I pinch the bridge of my nose and lean my head back against the sofa. Fear boils inside me until my muscles ache with tension. "Why did I pretend to be okay with this?" Ever since Rory was transparent with me about her and Tyler's past, a nagging sensation has built up inside me like an insect burrowing through my veins. Everything I hadn't noticed before screams in my face. The way he treats her, it's become less and less like an overprotective brother looking out for me and more like a fox attempting to conceal his attraction.

I trust Rory with all of my heart, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to fear the worst. Anything can happen while I'm not around. Something that excited me just a few days ago makes my stomach twist and turn.

Hours pass and Rory's still not home. Neither her nor Tyler have sent me a text all night, and that only leads me to two conclusions. They're dead and I'm going to kill Tyler in the afterlife, or they're in trouble and I'm going to kill Tyler once I return them home safely.

I've been to Anarchy a fair share of times. I see what happens there and the type of people drawn to that place. It's a place Rory would find herself attracted to, no doubt, but also a place where people tend to stir up trouble. If anything happens to her because someone decided to be a dick or the cops broke their agreement, I'll do everything in my power to protect her from the aftermath.

I should have gone with them. I shake my head and nestle even further into the cushions of my sofa, free from my work attire and clad in loose sweats and a tee. Then I'd seem like an overbearing boyfriend. How would I even express that I trust her judgment, but still would like to be there for her just in case something bad comes her way?

I can't.

Sighing, I ruffle up my hair and check the time again. It's nearly midnight and not a word. "You guys better be okay."

Keys jingle in the front door and I shoot up from the sofa. They're home. I make it to the entrance in time to watch them burst in in a fit of hysteria. Relief hits me like a wall of steel and jealousy creeps up as I capture the joy on their faces. They cackle like madmen over whatever conversation they were just having.