01 | Number 12 Grimmauld Place

And time will eventually knock on my door and tell me I am not needed around anymore. But he’ll hold me so close at the end of the day when I'm quiet I can nearly hear him say, “Smile, the worst is yet to come. We’ll be lucky if we ever see the sun. Got nowhere to turn, and we've got nothing but time. But the future is forever, the future is forever so smile.”
-Mikky Ekko, Smile

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Amanda Black stared at the houses dumbfounded. She looked at the right and read, “Grimmauld Place 11.” Then she looked at her left and read, “Grimmauld Place 13.”

Behind her, Tracy Snape snorted. She said, “Amy, I think your grandmother got offended that we didn’t come here since her death so she resorted to vanishing the entire house.”

Draco frowned, “I don’t think the portraits can do that. I don’t think they can do anything but chatter all day except for when they sleep like logs.” He paused before adding, “Or scream at house elves like my grandfather does.”

Tristan squinted his eyes, looking around the street. “Are we sure it was this street? It doesn’t look so familiar.”

“What do you mean it doesn’t look familiar?” Draco frowned, “We came here during the Christmas of our second year because Evanna wanted to find some haunted locket. Which she didn’t find,” he continued, despite the red streaks in said girl’s hair and the glare in her eyes, “waste of time really and that house-elf kept skulking around to scare the daylights out of me.”

Amy let out an impatient groan. “Kreacher wasn’t skulking, Draco. He was trying to make himself scarce, the way you asked--or I should say, demanded. He was also trying to make sure that Tristan and I, his real masters, as he calls us,” she rolls her eyes for emphasis, “are content looking around.”

“Of course, I asked it to make itself scarce. The look of the house elf would terrify the ghost of our dead great grandfather and from what I have heard, he was a menace himself.” Draco rolled his eyes, “I just don’t understand why you don't get rid of him.”

“We don’t get rid of him because he has probably been in that house longer than my own father.”

Draco snapped his fingers together, “Which reminds me, didn’t you four come here during the summer after our third year looking to check whether your father was hiding here?”

Tristan looked down from the flickering lamplight and dark spots swam in his vision knowing that Amy wouldn’t be pleased to answer that question. “Yes, but we couldn’t find the house then. We couldn't even remember the street let alone the building itself.”

“I don’t understand how you forgot the house. I’ve been here myself only once and it still haunts me in my nightmares.”

“Obviously, you remember. You remember everything,” Tracy smarted.

“Also, I wrote to you the address of this place,” Draco continued, ignoring his sister. “Did you forget the letter too?”

“I told you, your letter never had an address. You just said you’re writing it below and then ended the letter.”

Draco scoffed, offended. “I did not forget to write the—”

Evanna shook her head at her cousins and turned to her brother Eugene, “Can you guess any spell that could have been used?” She frowned, “Unless the house walked off by itself?”

Eugene gave her an absentmindedly said, “It seems like the house has just miraculously disappeared, though,” he looked around, frowning, “none of the muggles seem to be the least bit bothered by its absence, which suggests—”