10 | october 18

to: yulissawong@gmail.com
from: alexis.inoke@gmail.com

subject: i know you

I spend so much time pondering over what-ifs and if-onlys.

What if we didn't separate from the graduation party? Remember Tianna Lozano? You know, the girl who caught your eye since January? We could've spent the evening talking to her instead.

But of course, something was off. You didn't look me in the eye the entire time—not when I approached your house, not when I brought you a drink, not when I pulled you away from the celebration.

And then you told me my boyfriend kissed you the other day.

How could you, I screamed into your face. How could you hide this from me? I didn't let you finish. I was so stupid that I assumed you had a part in the cheating. So furious that blamed you instead of him. So blind that I forgot you didn't even swing for his team.

I broke up with him right after. If only I had listened.

Through my anger, I shoved you. I actually shoved you; I couldn't believe it either. It was dark, so dark that I lost all sense of our location. I had no idea we were so close to the sea and right by the cliff. I didn't know you would trip over those rocks.

You won't believe me, but I swear I never meant to push you off.

It was officially ruled an accident. But it wasn't an accident. It was my fault.

 It was my fault