09 | fragment

record 09

record 09...JULY 6===

10:11 AM

SEONGHWA FEELS LIKE SHIT. The images of that night at the beach play through his head on repeat like a stop motion horror film.

 One second he is there on the cape, a rotting body in front of his eyes. The next he is chasing after a hooded figure and at that point, the film syncs with his memories. There is a fade to black and he is in Newhurst again, Hongjoong on the pavement, bleeding from his skull and Seonghwa is there frozen. Why could he never act when it matters? 

Seonghwa jolts as the phone on his desk rings. He answers solemnly, finding it increasingly difficult to focus. 

"Hello, I am calling on behalf of CBA News to inquire about an interview request with Captain Briaar about the recent string of murders in Cape Free–"

The voice is cut off as Seonghwa slams the phone back into its place. This was the third call from a news outlet within the last five minutes. No matter how much he turns them down, they keep coming back like flies to a carcass. The department has been bustling with activity since the body was found on the beach, the officers overworked and the detectives stressed out.

Everything is falling apart. 

The residents of Cape Freewell are clearly on edge, the jailing of Jung Wooyoung for the murder of Jodi Hillman doing nothing to change their minds and rightfully so. 

Two violent murders within months is almost unheard of for a small town and rumors of a serial killer lurking in the shadows have been spreading like wildfire. The Captain is trying and failing to keep everything quiet as the news floods with stories of the body that was left in the sand. 

Being silent about it only makes the department look worse. Tourism would decline either way, there is no point in drawing this struggle with the media out.

Seonghwa sighs as he hangs up on yet another call from another news outlet, wanting so badly to throw something out of frustration. He should have just ran after that fucker when he had the chance. 

Officer Amit Kanti makes his way over to Seonghwa and taps on his desk, his lips set in a grim line. When Seonghwa frowns at him questioningly, Kanti nods his head in the direction of the breakroom. 

Taking the hint, Seonghwa stands and follows behind him, somewhat relieved to have a break away from the phone. 

When they are both inside, the door is shut and Officer Kanti sinks into a chair. Seonghwa awkwardly hovers around the coffee machine, picking up on the tension that fills the space. 

"Look I'll be upfront with you Officer Park," Amit begins, his voice somewhat firm. The sound of it gives Seonghwa pause. "I don't know what your relationship with Levi is, but I saw the way you yelled at her a couple of days ago. Don't do that again or we will have a problem." 

Seonghwa is taken aback by his words, crossing his arms. He doesn't like the idea of people poking around in his business. 

Does he feel guilty about the way he reacted that night? Hell yes. If he could go back he would have been kinder to Levi. But does he feel this conversation is necessary? Absolutely not.

"Just listen to me," Amit continues, elbows on his knees. Seonghwa looks everywhere but at him. "I've known her since she was little. The girl loves to act as tough as nails but she is anything but. A lot of people have been treating her like shit. That, on top of everything that happened with her sister Maya...she's having a hard time." 

Amit rises to his feet, releasing an irritated huff of breath. "People look down on her. That is nothing new to me. I just didn't expect to have to call one of my fellow officers out on it."

Seonghwa looks up at him then as he departs from the room, taking his words in even though he can feel the knife of guilt slowly being twisted into his chest. 

It doesn't take too long for him to put the pieces together as he stares blankly at the white walls. He remembers the way she hesitated to tell him about the first case. Maya Mckinney. 

Levi's sister. 

He fucked up. 

·.·.·

7:12 PM

"Another body was found in Cape Freewell during the local July fourth festivities on Cape Freewell Beach. The body was identified to be twenty-two year old Casey Jules, a tourist from Fort Wallace who was declared missing weeks prior. 

The family of Miss Jules is demanding answers, but the Cape Freewell Police Department seems to have gone silent. Our requests for an interview have yet to receive a response and residents have taken to calling the unnamed murderer the Tooth Fairy based on...."

Seonghwa is tuned into the news while laying on his couch, the most comfortable piece of furniture he owns. He blinks slowly as images of part of the beach covered in police tape flash by on screen. 

He feels guilty and exhausted, remembering that Levi is the reason he has the television. He is not the most fond of her, considering their rocky start, but he knew when he was in the wrong. And he was very much in the wrong, taking out his frustration with himself on Levi who, at the very least, was trying her best to be less of an annoyance. 

Remembering the way she walked into his house not too long ago, clearly struggling to keep it together makes much more sense now. She is invested in this investigation just as much as he is, if not more. She's seen it all before, now forced to watch it play out again. 

Seonghwa lazily reaches for the remote, turning off the television with an exaggerated sigh and shoving his head into a pillow. 

Where does he go from here?

///

This chapter is really short, sorry.  More action coming up in the next few chapters. Just wanted to get another update out for the weekend. 

Thanks for reading ♡