picnic

I rubbed my hands together and reached up toward the basket Grace was passing over the fence, peeking inside to see sandwiches and tupperwares full of salad.

"Ooh, such goodies."

"What'd she bring?" Jeremy called out from his porch, hopping down the steps and running to our fence.

"Nothing for you, leech."

"Oh come on, Wicker!"

"You're not allowed anything, Jeremy! I slaved over that food!" Grace called out as she scaled over the fence.

"I'm a starving child," he shouted, leaning over the edge of the fence, "feed me!"

"What a whiner, how do you deal with that for hours?"

"I crave social interaction." Grace snorted at my response, walking ahead of me and spreading out her towel.

I laid my towel down a couple feet from hers, dropping the basket in the patch of grass between us.

"If I run and get a towel can I join the club?" Jeremy begged, fidgeting on the tip of his toes.

Grace rolled her eyes and sighed, looking at him for a minute. Her eyes glided over to me, smirking in the process, before saying: "You know what, old sport? Sure."

I physically felt my stomach drop out of my butthole. All of my insides just went woosh out of my body and I was left with a sickly empty feeling.

"What are you trying to do?" I hissed as Jeremy laughed and took off into his house.

"What do you think I'm trying to do?"

"Ruin my friendship!" I replied, both of us still whispering for no reason.

"Oh contraire!" She countered, "I'm trying to upgrade it."