Chapter 19

Ariana

"Alright, that's a wrap for today, team. Remember, keep practicing the pyramid even in your dreams," I called out to my squad. They wearily got to their feet and headed back toward the locker rooms.

"Are you coming?" Shay asked, taking a sip from her water bottle.

"Just give me a minute," I replied, finding a spot at the end of the bleachers. Closing my eyes, I basked in the sun, letting it drain the last remnants of energy.

Today's practice might have been a tad intense. My mind felt divided, half focused on the new cheer routine and the other half wandering elsewhere.

Well, we're gearing up for our first game next week against Westside High. It's time to show them what we've got. And then there's the homecoming dance, an event some of us can't wait for.

"Hey you." His familiar voice brought me back to reality, and my heart skipped a beat just hearing him.

So, now he's interested in talking?

Is it because everyone's gone, and it's just us?

I glanced to the side, spotting Tristan jogging over, his T-shirt casually slung over his shoulder.

Oh fuck me.

His physique is absolutely captivating. The perfect biceps, the sculpted six-pack – it's almost unreal.

Sweat glistened on his broad shoulders, tracing a path down his chest after a day of training in the sun.

He settled beside me, a faint blend of his cologne and sweat reaching my nose.

"Hey. How was practice?" He asked, leaning back against the bleachers.

"It went okay, I guess. And yours? I noticed you were putting a lot of effort into your routine. Must be quite the grind," I chuckled, sneaking a quick glance at him.

"Yeah, it was intense, but we're getting there. We're fine-tuning this routine for you Sterling Knights. The game against Westside High is just around the corner, and we're aiming to show them what we got."

He grinned, and his proximity made his hand reach out, absentmindedly playing with a strand of my hair.

I froze, my breath catching, but he seemed oblivious. In fact, he appeared lost in thought.

"Coach is really pushing us. By the way, if you weren't into cheerleading, what would you do with those amazing dance skills of yours?" I grinned and looked back at him.

"Well, I could be a gymnast or part of a dance crew or something."

"But do you enjoy cheerleading?"

"It's grown on me a bit. After two years, it's become second nature, and I'm pretty good at it. But I do miss dancing and the acrobatics."

He nodded, understanding in his eyes.

"But don't you get tired of all this?" His question caught me off guard.

"Why's that on your mind?" He shrugged, evading an answer.

I straightened up, a frown forming.

"Wait, since when did you want to start talking to me again? Last I checked, you were avoiding me." He sat up abruptly, a frown mirroring mine.

"I wasn't avoiding you, I was just..."

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to continue. But he fell silent, exhaling as he turned away.

"Just as I thought. I've already told you, I can't change things now; it's too late. This is who I am, and if you have a problem with that, that's not my concern. Sterling High has its own dynamics, and if you don't understand that, it's not my job to explain. But with you, I wanted you to know why I put on this act around others. Some people shouldn't know your true self, as they might exploit your weaknesses. I've learned that the hard way, Tristan. Yes, I'm sometimes fed up with it, but believe me, I never liked it from the start."

I held his gaze, determined, while setting the record straight once again. He stared back, an unfamiliar look in his eyes. For a moment, it was just us, until the slam of the locker room door broke our intense connection.

"Alright. Sorry, forget I said anything."

He finally spoke, and I shook my head, standing up and grabbing my training bag.

"See you tomorrow?" He asked, rising as well.

"Looks like it." His hand ran through his perfectly tousled hair, and I packed my converse, water bottle, and other belongings, zipping up the bag.

"You should get going; you don't want to be late for your date with Jenny."

He scowled at me, and before he could respond, I turned and started heading back to the school building.

He gripped my arm, halting me. I turned, almost colliding with him.

If I moved an inch closer, things would get heated. His eyes turned icy, focused on me.

"How did you find out about my date with Jenny tonight?" His tone was accusatory.

"I have my sources," I replied. He scoffed, his grip tight on my arm, though I barely felt the pain.

"Right, because being the queen bee here gives you access to everyone's business, even when it's none of your concern. I should've known better." I frowned and pulled my arm away from his grip.

"I need to know everything. Especially what you're up to right after I shared something I've kept hidden my whole life, something no one else knows. You might just tell someone someday."

His cold gaze wavered, and he stepped back.

"You really don't trust me, do you? You think I'd actually betray you like that?" I glared, arms crossed.

"You've been avoiding me since morning. What else should I think?" He scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Wow. So, why did you tell me if you knew I'd go around and tell everybody?"

I opened my mouth but no words came out.

"I hoped you'd be real with me, Ariana, but you're not. This thing you're doing is spiraling out of control; you're losing sight of who you are. Keep it up, maybe you'll get what you're after someday."

"Just fuck off. You don't know a damn thing about me."

I noticed his clenched jaw, and I worried I'd gone too far.

"Fine. I'm the idiot for thinking things could change. You're still that conceited, self-centered girl from my first day here. It's all a bit much, even for you."

He shook his head, walking away, leaving me on the grounds with tears welling.

I'm not sure what just happened, but one thing's certain: he was right. His words cut deeper than I expected.