Chapter 17

A/N Please don't kill me with this chapter, and the next chapter.

All I heard was the screams of my name for me to come back, but I didn't. I couldn't with Thomas being taken by Teresa and Group B, I just couldn't. I could see them in the distance and I was determined to get Thomas back.

"ZOE!" I hear Newt yell out, causing a sharp pain in my heart. I was crying but I had to save Thomas. I immediately sprinted towards Group B before I could hear another one of Newt's pleas. Soon enough I did catch up with the other group. I quickly snuck in the back and blend in with the others; luckily I was a girl too. No one seemed to notice me. The only thing different from me was I had a backpack but that's it. We kept walking towards the mountain. I would slip by people trying to get closer to Teresa and Thomas. We were now starting to climb the mountain and the girls that were dragging Thomas had got tiered so we went into a little crook in the mountain and rested.

"What should we do to him?" A girl asked I couldn't really see her.

"Why can't we just kill him now?" Someone asked. My heart started to race.

"Not yet." Teresa snapped I could already tell she took charge fast. "We need to take him to a certain place."

"I'm tired of dragging him, he's heavy." Another girl whined. I stepped up.

"You could carry him." I suggested. Teresa snapped her head towards me.

"Who are you?" She asked. Instantly all weapons were pointed on me.

Well crap.

I put my hands up in surrender. "Whoa calm down I've been with you the whole time."

"No you haven't... You." Teresa growls and stomps towards me. I immediately grab my bow and knock an arrow. I point it towards her chest and she stops.

"I wouldn't take a step closer." I snarl.

"Oh sweetie, it's you versus all of us." She laughs, a couple girls snickers.

"Oh but you haven't seen what I can do." I mimic her voice. "Now before anything goes down give me Thomas back and no one gets hurt." I demand.

She laughs. "No."

"Yes or die."

"How about no and you get killed?"

"How about I kill you and your little friends, take Thomas back and get the cure for my friends."

"You don't get it, we have to kill him to get the cure." She says.

I snort. "He doesn't have the shuckin cure in him."

"I'm not an idiot! The man told us what to do and we are just doing it ok. Now like I said before, if you follow we shoot. Halie let it fly." Teresa says. I turn and see a short-ish blonde haired girl with a bow knocked with an arrow aim towards where my group is and shoots.

"NO!" I scream and lunge at her but I am stopped by the butt end of a spear. I fall to the ground groaning in pain. The spear hit the right side of my jaw. I try not to scream out in pain but it fails and one escapes my lips.

"Another Halie, until you hear a scream." Teresa demands. Halie lets another arrow fly. I crawl to her.

"No!" I scream again. Teresa bashes her foot against the side of my head and my vision goes black for a few moments.

"Zoe stop!" I hear Thomas call out. He sits by the edge of the rock with a bag tied over his head and his feet and arms tied together. He tries to shuffle closer but fails.

"No!" I scream again to the Halie girl.

"Another." Teresa demands. I look up and see Halie pull back the bow and release the arrow. I shakily get to my feet and I try to knock Halie down but Teresa just hits me yet again with the butt of her spear. I fall to the ground, landing on my back. Black spots cover my vision and my jaw feels like it's going to fall off.

"ALL ARCHERS!" Teresa demands. My eyes widen and I sit up only to see about ten girls with bows pull back and release a rain of arrows towards the direction of the gladers. Everyone is silent.

Then a blood-curdling scream pierces through the land. A scream that made my bones rattle, a scream that made my eyes fill with tears. A scream that made my heart shatter into millions of pieces. A scream that belonged to a little boy.

Thomas whispered it before I could even start to sob.

"Chuck."