You're Already My First Love (Won't You Be My Last ?)

He first saw her, back when the world was young.

Lucifer didn't know much about love then, but looking back now, he knew that's what it had been.

She stood there, as naked as the day she was formed, staring at him curiously. He'd tried to frighten her with his newly acquired Devil face, but she only laughed and touched the ravaged skin. They sat under the forbidden tree, communicating in the only way she knew how. The Devil had never made love before, but that night he'd become a master of the art.

He would visit her many times, teaching her to speak his native tongue. Once the words were unlocked, it was clear how bright and intelligent she was. She asked him his name, and he told her it was Lucifer, a name that was both a part of, yet separate from his former status in Heaven.

She told him they called her Eve, and it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever heard.

****************

The next time he was topside, Eden was destroyed, and the humans cast out. He spread his wings and flew over the land, trying to see where they'd gone. He located Adam first, demanding to know where Eve was. The man pointed towards the direction of a cave, and passed out from whatever ambrosia he'd managed to find.

When Lucifer reached the cave, the first thing he noticed was a trail of blood. Alarmed, he raced inside to find Eve, bleeding out all over the floor, and holding a small bundle that was barely the size of his hand. He gathered her into his arms and flew to forest, far away from that wretched husband of hers.

He pulled one of his feathers, and placed it over her abdomen, the glow signifying that the damage to her insides was healing. Once Eve passed out, Lucifer took the little bundle from her arms, and looked at it. They were so tiny and perfect it hurt. He dug a hole and buried the small life that never was....and for the first time in his existence, the Devil cried.

*********************

The next time he found Eve, he didn't let her know he was there. Instead, Lucifer watched from a hiding spot nearby as she played with her two children. He was glad to see she was happy, and regretted that he couldn't be the one making her that way. But, he knew that Amenadiel would be after him before too long, so it was best she stayed with someone who didn't have to rule in ash and shadows.

***********************

Over a decade later, he found her again. This time it was a prayer that brought them together. The devil hadn't received a prayer in Eons, so he knew only one person who would call for him. He found Eve in a field, cradling the murdered body of her youngest son, who had been killed by his brother.

Lucifer gathered her into his arms as she cried, once again faced with a loss no one should ever endure. He buried Abel's body, then offered to take Eve anywhere she wanted, as the whole affair had finally caused her to be done with Adam. She asked him to take her to where their own child had been buried, if he could remember the place.

Lucifer always remembered.

***********************

He stayed in Hell for many years after that, until his sister Azrael came to visit. Eve was finally dying, and she wanted to give her brother a chance to say goodbye. Amenadiel tried to protest against Lucifer leaving Hell again, but ultimately the Angel of Death had him too scared to force the issue.

He followed his sister to a small shack in the middle of nowhere. There were flowers growing all around, as if Eve had tried to maintain a facsimile of Eden.

She saw him as he stepped inside, and smiled. Eve was an old woman now, but no less beautiful in Lucifer's eyes. He went over to the pallet she lay on and knelt beside her, pulling her into his arms as he always had.