ONE

"MOTHER I WILL BE FINE, YOU KNOW I'M CAREFUL," Diana told her mother, Juliet, as she stood next to the train that would lead her to her destination

"MOTHER I WILL BE FINE, YOU KNOW I'M CAREFUL," Diana told her mother, Juliet, as she stood next to the train that would lead her to her destination. She and her mother had still not told her father about moving to Birmingham, the only people that did know of her moving was that of herself, her mother, and her mother's maid that helped pack her stuff. Juliet was to tell her husband, Edwin of their daughter's bold move when he returned home from day hunting.

It wasn't that she was afraid of her father, or that he was a mean man that would insist that she stay at their Yorkshire home and settle down with a man nearer to home. No, she simply couldn't bear to see the look on his face, knowing that he would say that Birmingham was just too far from the family and she would simply give in and move somewhere closer to home. But she had to get away, experience the rough and the real world, and prove to people that she wasn't just a rich girl. She was to be on her own in the great wide world and experience things that she never would have cooped up in that great big house full of maids and servants that each time passes her nodded with the word, 'miss'. She wanted to be seen as real, not just an object that showed money.

Juliet sniffed, tucking a hair behind her daughter's hair, holding a handkerchief closer to her. "I know you will be darling, it's just sad because seeing you here, I know you've grown up."

"Mother, i'm 24, I grew up the moment I turned 16 and the war broke out," Diana told her quietly as her mother nodded. During the war when Diana had turned 16, the Stone family had offered their support to the British Army and the soilers that lay their lives on the line. Edwin Stone had gone out to war as a commanding officer, and although in them dreadful days, the rich were more protected, Edwin had thought for his country and saved many men, but he wouldn't talk about it nor would receive any praise for anything. He would often tell people 'how can I receive praise when the people that deserve it the most aren't at home with their families?'

Diana and Juliet however, worked with the nurses at the local hospitals, helping those whose lives had been affected in the bombings in the local town and cities. They had even welcomed those whose houses had been destroyed in the bombings rooms in their home until they were able to find another place to live. The Stone family cared for people in ways that many people didn't and it was appreciated by many of those that had received that kindness.

Juliet nodded, "I know, I know." She told her, then putting her arms around her daughter. Pulling back, she took one last long look at her before she had to board the train. "Remember to write to me and your father every single day, we want to know how you're settling in. And remember, be safe, don't follow people into any messy business."

"Of course not mother, you know that isn't my sort of scene." She told Juliet, who just nodded. "Mother, do you think father will be okay with this? I can just come back if-" Her mother interrupted her pointing to her sternly.

"Do not allow your father to stop you from doing anything in life. He is a good man and I know both of you are close but you have to start living your life if I had listened to what my father had said all my life I would certainly not have the life I do. So start listening to your heart for once, not your mind." Her mother told her as Diana just pulled her in for another hug, before pulling back, gathering the bags she had with her and proceeding to get on the train that was ready to leave.

Walking inside one of the empty compartments, she saw her mother standing on the platform for once last time as the whistle blew as the train began moving. Her mother blew her a kiss, waving her off with her handkerchief. Settling back, Diana swallowed not knowing what Small Heath would have in store for her, but she hoped it was worth leaving it all behind.

It was a while later that the conductor came around the carriages, checking each person's tickets. When handing him her ticket, the conductor looked at the young, well dressed, sophisticated girl. He stared at her for a moment, "you sure you're wanting to get off the train at Small Heath, miss?" He asked her, as she looked at him, confused at his question.

"Of course, it does say that's where I'm going on the ticket, doesn't it?" She asked, raising her eyebrows. The conductor just nodded, "yes miss, I just haven't heard of many young women wanting to go to Small Heath on their own."

Diana sat confused, "and why's that?" The conductor shrugged, "heard bad things happen around there, not the nicest people."

The young girl grabbed back the ticket that he was holding, "yes, well, I'm sure they're all lovely. You can't judge people base on what you've heard, it creates the worst sort of person." She told him as he just nodded slightly, turning to leave the compartment that she was sat in.

Diana wasn't a girl to judge and utterly despised it when someone did it. To Diana it didn't matter of what echelon of society you were, whether you were at the bottom of the barrel or the top of the highest, it was the heart that truly showed who you were, not where you lived, how much money you had or your family's reputation. As long as you showed that inside you were a person who is caring and loving, it didn't matter what social status you were, because that was nothing compared to being yourself.

--

Arriving at her destination, Small Heath, Diana could automatically see that she seemed somewhat out of place. She wore a tailored white skirt and blazer with black coming down the collar, she looked like she had just stepped out of the future of fashion, and both men and women stared at her in awe at how she looked. But Diana didn't notice, looking up trying to see as her wide hat that almost covers her eyes, she looked around in excitement.

Walking out of the station, she asked one of the workers how closer the town was, who gave her directions to where the main part of town was, luckily within walking distance, where she would find a place to stay. Upon walking to the town, she found a pub, where she decided to see if they also knew of a place to stay. Opening the door, Diana looked around, noticing there was no one in, knowing that all the men were out working, however, the barman stood, wide-eyed at the girl who had just walked in.

Diana smiled at him, walking in with her bags. "Hello, i'm Diana Stone, I was wondering if you knew of a place where I could stay or even rent?" She asked him, as he continued to stare at her, not quite understanding why a girl who was so well dressed and spoken was doing around this part of town. He snapped out of his trance, holding out his hand. "Hello," he said roughly, swallowing, "well there's a room upstairs I suppose you could rent, family before moving out, complained about too much noise when all the blokes are in here. If you don't mind the noise, I'd be willing to rent it out to you." He told her, as her smile grew bigger.

"That's wonderful! Thank you so much darling, and don't worry about noise, you can't stop men having their fun ey?" She told him, as he offered to take her bags up to the room, she happily accepted, taking off her hat, looking around the pub.

"I think this is the place for me," she told herself as she smiled ecstatically at the change of scenery, wondering what other forms of joy this place would bring her.