Chapter 2: Cashew

I don't know what I was expecting, but the ranch was busier then I thought it would be. There were people milking cows and collecting eggs, and of course there were riders grooming and tacking up horses. The property, from the looks of it, was huge and had rustic theme. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a nice place, but definitely wasn't what I was used to.

The wagon stopped in front of the biggest barn I could see. I climbed out and walked around the side to get a better view. I spotted a giant rodeo arena and a big farm house, even a row of horse trailers. Two market stalls were set up here, too. One looked like it was selling freshy grown produce and the other appeared to be carrying tack. 

"So? What do you think?" Josh asked, walking up beside me with both hands in his pockets.

"It's a big place." I said, still looking around.

The boy chuckled. "There's more to it, but Carl wants to give you the tour himself." Josh turned his head and smiled. "Speaking of, there he is now."

I followed Josh's line of sight to an older man approaching us. He had blonde hair that was slightly darker then Josh's and wore a blue jacket with a red scarf around his neck. I recognized him; he was Uncle Carl.

"If it ain't my special niece, Rosie." Carl said as he got close. "Gosh, you look just like your mother."

I forced an awkward smile. "Hey, Uncle Carl."

Carl looked to Josh. "Thanks for getting her here safely, Josh. I appreciate it."

Josh tipped his hat. "No thanks needed." He turned to me. "I have some ranch work that needs my attention. It was nice meeting you, Rose."

I nodded. "You too. Thanks, Josh."

Josh headed off towards the barn, leaving me alone with Carl. There was a moment of awkward silence but it quickly dissolved when my uncle spoke up.

"How was your trip?" He asked.

"It was okay." I lied.

Carl nodded. "I imagine you're tired so I'll show ya to your room in the house. Whenever you feel like it, I can take you for a tour of the ranch. Oh, and I got a little welcoming gift for ya, but it won't be here until tomorrow morning, unfortunately."

"That's okay. I can be patient."

The man smiled. "Like a true equestrian." He patted me roughly on the back. "Come on. Let's get ya' settled."

Uncle Carl took my bag for me and led me up to the massive farm house. There was no one in the living room when we entered, but I was grateful for that. I have no idea what I looked like and the last thing I wanted right now was to meet a bunch of new people.

"Some of the stable hands live here, too." Carl explained as he guided me down one of the short hallways. "They rotate night checks, but they're usually pretty quiet when moving around at night. You shouldn't have to worry about being woken up."

I nodded. "Good to know. I probably would have thought someone broke in."

Uncle Carl stopped in front of a white door at the very end of the hall. "This room is yours."

He pushed the door open and stepped aside go I could go in. The room was on the smaller side with walls painted white and the floor was made of wood. A full sized bed with a wooden frame and floral sheets was placed with the headboard against the wall in the middle of the room. Across from the end of the bed was a large wooden dresser with a decently sized TV sitting on top, the remote placed neatly next to it. A desk was tucked under the window on the far side of the room and had a short chair with wheels to go with it. I'd have to shimmy between the bed and wardrobe to get to it. In the centre of the room, under all the furniture, was a rug with a typical western feel to the design.