O N E

a/n- yo, thanks for reading. this book is pretty much ironic, but nonetheless i hope you enjoy. feel free to check out my profile or vote (or don't whatever you want.)

a/n 2- 7/12/2020- i currently have this book on hold (even though it only has a few chapters... um.. chile.. anyways). i'll prolly come back to it later, but i cant be bothered to rn.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Shut up," I groan, to no one in particular. I hit my alarm clock, turning over to face the ceiling. It's Monday, and who doesn't dread Mondays? 

I lay in bed for a moment or two more before getting up. I go to my closet and thumb mindlessly through my clothes. I grab a cropped blouse and jeans and throw them onto my bed. I stare at them before rolling my eyes. Who am I kidding? I go to my dresser and grab a pair of white leggings and blue sweatshirt. I pull them on before trudging towards the bathroom connected to my room. I go through my regular morning routine. Brush my teeth, a bit of makeup, deodorant, perfume, brush my hair. I give myself one last look in the mirror before walking out of the bathroom and going downstairs. 

"Hey, sweetheart!" Mom says when I walk into the kitchen. "How'd you sleep last night?" 

"Fine," I reply, grabbing a bagel and throwing it in the toaster. "I'm going over to Connor's after school today, that okay?"

Mom nodded, "Just be home by 10:00." 

Connor and I have been best friends since we were in diapers. Mom & Dad have gotten to the point where they trust us enough that, as long as it's just the two of us, we're free to do pretty much whatever. I think they realize we've been inseparable for 16 years, and no one's gotten pregnant or died, so why would we start doing bad stuff now? 

I look at my phone and see I have a notification.

Connor: Yo, I'm here.

Me: I'll be right out.

My bagel pops up just in time. I grab it, burning my fingerprints off in the process, and kiss Mom on the cheek.

"Connor's here."

"Bye, Dylan, have a good day."

I open the door and run down the front porch steps to Connor's Jeep. Connor's Mom & Dad are lawyers, so he's kinda a spoiled brat. 

"Hey, nerd," I say as I open up the door and plop myself down into the passengers seat. Connor's texting on his phone, and doesn't even look up. "Wow, you're awfully friendly this morning." 

Connor looks up at me with a fake smile, "Hello, Dylan! It's so great to see you!" His voice is oozing with sarcasm. I smack him and he flinches away with a laugh. 

"Just drive."

Connor puts the car in drive and takes off down the road. 5 minutes later, we're in the parking lot of the beloved Fairmont High School (note the sarcasm). We climb out of the car and walk through the parking lot.

 A few people say hey to Connor, he's on the basketball team so a lot of people know him. Me, however? Nobody knows me. People know of me, but they never know my name. It's always "the girl that's always hanging out with Connor" or (gag me) "Connor's girlfriend". Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be popular. Guys wanting to be with you, girls wanting to be you. But I know that's unrealistic, I'm too average to be popular. I'm not tall or blonde, I'm around 5'4 with brunette hair. 

Connor and I walk through the halls, talking about our weekends. Rather, Connor talking to me about his weekend. All I did was watch Brooklyn Nine Nine. 

We're at our lockers and Connor's going on about a game of beer pong he played at a party when someone bumps into my shoulder. 

"Oh, sorry," the person says. 

"It's fine," I reply automatically, turning to see who said it. Harry Styles walks past me, and I watch as he runs a tatooed hand through his brown hair. 

Harry is one of the popular bunch. If you asked me to pick a favorite of them, I guess it'd be him. He's totally hot (all of them are), but he seems genuine, too. Every girl in school has a crush on him. How could they not? He has these beautiful green eyes that make you want to stare into them for hours. I watch as Harry makes his way down the hallway, laughing at something. 

"Gross," Connor said, snapping me out of my daze. "Don't tell me you have the hots for him too? C'mon, Dyl, I thought you weren't as basic as that."

I roll my eyes, but a blush rises to my cheeks, "I do not have 'the hots' for him, Connor."

"Then why're you blushing?"

"I-" I start, but don't have an excuse. Connor smirks at me, eyebrow raised. "Fine, so he's hot, but that doesn't mean I'm crushing on him. BTW, you need to update the lingo. 'The hots'? Who even says that?"

"Whatever," Connor closes his locker. "I'm going to Calc, try not to miss me too much."

I roll my eyes playfully, "I don't ever miss you, Connor."

"Ouch."

"Just facts," I smile. "See you in 2nd period." I close my own locker and walk off to English class.