chapter three

Previously on 𝔱𝔬 𝔨𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔞𝔫 𝔞𝔩𝔭𝔥𝔞:

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒

"I'll be there in a minute." I could hear the man's footsteps walking away, as Damien lifted me up and put me on the office table. I was still straddling him as he pushed himself onto me.

"I know what you're picturing, you dirty pet, I can smell you. Don't worry, you'll be sore and wanting more when I'm done with you." He licked his lips as his canines peeked through a tiny bit.

As he left for the meeting, I lay in a pool of sweat.

┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢; 𝔱𝔬 𝔨𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔞𝔫 𝔞𝔩𝔭𝔥𝔞

"Oh, crap."

It took ten minutes of being left alone to control my inner demon and realise what an idiot I turned into. The man I made out with was a murderer.

"Oh my God, what am I doing?" I sigh as I try to neaten my appearance and sort out my hair. I felt tears build up behind my eyes - what the hell is wrong with me?  Am I a dog in heat?  I hit my head against the desk for being so thirsty, that one man's attention, a very gorgeous man, but still just a man, could do this to me.

Like an idiot, it took me another five minutes to realise that he left me, alone, in his office; where he could have stored important documents and potential government secrets. Although I had deviated from the plan, I may have just hit the jackpot. 

I quickly jumped off his desk and started to pull the drawers, going through boring papers about resources and funding set for different departments, when an idea that seemed slightly foolish popped up in my head. In all those mystery novels there was always a secret compartment within a drawer, behind a painting, under a floorboard.

I had no such luck until I landed on the bottom drawer where I knocked on the wooden base to hear a hollow sound. Excitedly, I ran to pick up the sharp half of my blade off the ground to pry the base off with a small click sound. Underneath was a thick brown envelope that I grabbed. My hands shook as I lifted out a few sheets of paper.

Its title read 'Royal Decree'.

'By decree of Ki-

The paper and envelope was immediately snatched from my hands and lifted above me, as I felt a breath next to my neck. The shivers down my spine and my overactive senses alerted me to who it was.

"Tut, tut, tut, dear." His deep voice whispered into my ear, "You think I'd be that stupid to leave a rebellious dog in a room full of treats?"

I held my breath as I pushed myself away from him. Maybe with the distance, I could have better control.

I turned to look at him to gauge his reaction, will he kill his own mate? But I couldn't see anything in his vibrant golden eyes nor his neutral, full lips.

"What kind of owner would that make me? You do want to be owned, right pet?" He smirked.

"If you call me pet or dog or any other stupid nickname again, I'll cut you!" I said lifting my broken dagger at him.

He chuckled, "My ears are hearing one thing but all my other senses are telling me you enjoy this."

He reached out his hand to stroke my face which I immediately dodged but then before I knew what was going on, he used that same hand to take the dagger away from me. "You're blushing, dear, I'm pretty sure you like it."