𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

R O W A N

"Ro?"

"I know you said don't call you, or text you, but.. mom she's–she needs to go. My dad is really worried, an–and Alex has a fever. It's been a few days now and he keeps on coughing and refuse to eat.. but mom, Ro. Mom needs to go to the hospital, but she wouldn't listen to anyone–"

"And Maddy?" Hugh paused when he heard Rowan finally spoke through the phone. He took a deep breath and blinked his eyes repeatedly trying to stop himself from crying.

"She's fine."

"Why does your mom need to go to the hospital? I thought she's supposed to be staying there"

"Exactly why I'm calling. She refused to be treated, Ro. I can't let her be, I can't just go on with my life and watch her die slowly." Rowan didn't know what to say, and by this time Hugh has already started crying.

"Hugh?"

"Please come over, Ro. If there's anyone that can persuade her to do it, it's you."

"How would you know that? I've never even met her–"

"I just do. Only you can do it." Rowan was scared. Though she have always wanted to meet Hugh's mom, she couldn't. Not after what had happened between them just three months back. She always felt like Hugh's mom and her would get along really well. Now even the thought of it breaks her heart. She quickly covered her lips to stop herself from sobbing. "Please, Ro. I-I need you."

Hugh couldn't hold it in anymore. He cried, not caring with the fact that Rowan can fully hear him. "You were right. I do need you, more than ever. I'm sorry, Ro, I really am. I didn't mean any of it. If you don't want to do this, just say so and I won't bother you anymore. Unless maybe you want me to come over and get you? That's what you said right? Don't call, don't text, but come home."

It was true. Rowan had enough of his behaviour and wouldn't accept an apology over the phone or text. She had told him that if he ever need her one day, don't call or text her, but to come over. Rowan knew what was the right thing to do. She must not go, she shouldn't have even answered the call in the first place, but both Rowan and Hugh knew that whatever happened, Rowan would always say yes to him.

And Hugh was right.

He had her at the sound of the custom ringtone for him only.