58. snape's grudge

     NO ONE IN GRYFFINDOR TOWER SLEPT THAT NIGHT

NO ONE IN GRYFFINDOR TOWER SLEPT THAT NIGHT. They knew that the castle was being searched again and the whole house stayed awake in the common room, waiting to hear whether Black had been caught. Professor McGonagall came back at dawn, to tell them that he had again escaped.

Everywhere they went next day they saw signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to recognize a large picture of Sirius Black; Filch was suddenly bustling up and down the corridors, boarding up everything from tiny cracks in the wall to mouse holes. Sir Cadogan had been sacked. His portrait had been taken back to its lonely landing on the seventh floor and the Fat Lady was back. She had only agreed to return her job on condition that she was given extra protection. A bunch of surly security trolls had been hired to guard her. They paced the corridor in a menacing group, talking in grunts and comparing the size of their clubs.

Ron had become an instant celebrity. For the first time in his life, people were paying more attention to him than to Harry, and it was clear that Ron was rather enjoying the experience. Though still severely shaken by the night's events, he was happy to tell anyone who asked, what had happened, with a wealth of detail.

". . . I was asleep, and I heard this ripping noise, and I thought it was in my dream, you know? But then there was this draught . . . I woke up and one side of the hangings on my bed had been pulled down . . . I rolled over . . . and I saw him standing over me . . . like a skeleton, with loads of filthy hair . . . holding this great long knife, must've been twelve inches . . . and he looked at me, and I looked at him, and then I yelled and he scarpered."

Harper was leaning against the wall, hearing the story for what seemed like the twentieth time.

"Harper!" someone exclaimed, making her head snap up. Cedric made his way over to her, his eyes rather worried. "Are you okay? I heard what happened. Did Black really break into Gryffindor Tower with a knife?"

"Yeah, I saw him," Harper replied quietly, not wanting anyone to hear.

"You saw him?"

"Yes, we crashed into each other when he was trying to run."