C H A P T E R 4

C H A P T E R
F O U R

         Jumping off the bus and taking off on foot in a rush, roughly bumping pass people he bypassed he yelled out apologies left and right knowing he only had a little time left before the doors closed. Noticing the building of the church come into view a smile came to his face because he made it just when the line was starting to build up.

Quickly hopping in line behind an elderly guy, Malcolm adjusted his backpack strap on his shoulder while looking around at all the people walking towards the church and getting in line in hopes of getting a place to sleep tonight.

As the line moved Malcolm just stood there thinking about his life and where he was right now. He never imagined himself to be homeless and living on the streets, but anything was better than getting beat on for no apparent reason.

Looking down at his last pair of shoes he owned, he sighed. He sold his other pair to make some money so he could eat, but just as fast as the money came he went even faster and he honestly wasn't sure how many more nights he would last not eating.

He knew school was coming up in less than a week and although he was already registered for the year, he was too embarrassed to show up with dirty clothes and smelling like outside so he had half the mind to just drop out and forget about school and his goal to attend college.

Feeling his phone vibrate in his pocket, he pulled it out to see a text from one of his homeboys.

From Shoota☄️ :
Aye man, you coming to the court tomorrow? We been missing you bro, hope everything coo' wit you and yo folks. Hit me if you need anything💯

Instead of replying to his message Malcolm just slid his phone back into his pocket. He missed his friends and missed hanging with them as well, but it was too much going on for them to understand.

As the line continued to move up, Malcolm started to feel a little lightheaded and the scent of food hitting his nose did not make it any better. The sound of his stomach grumbling and the ache that followed behind was starting to make him feel sick. He was so hungry and he hoped like hell he made it inside these doors so he could eat.

Now second in line he eatched the elderly guy go inside and went to step forward but was stopped by the door greeter who held a sympathetic look on his face. "We're out of room son, half of the building flooded last night due to the rain and we can't let people in on that side." He explained before stepping away to yell out to the others.

Tears threatened to fall from his eyes as he looked down in defeat. Grabbing the guys arm gently more tears began to fall. "You don't understand man, I haven't eaten or slept in three days please." He pleaded.

"I'm sorry son, if it was more that I could do to help I would. It's still early you might luck up and find another shelter somewhere."

Watching as the guy walked inside the church shutting the doors behind him, Malcolm walked off with the rest of the people not sure what to do next. His legs felt like noodles and his hands shook uncontrollably as the feeling of life felt as if it was leaving his body from how weak he was becoming rapidly.

Walking alongside the sidewalk Malcolm stumbled up against the side of a building losing his balance as his vision started to blur. Scooting down against the wall he leaned his head back and before he could try and process what was going on he passed out and all he could do was pray to God that he didn't end his life like this yet.