Chapter Two

I fly through Friday's appointments, leaving the meeting with the editors of the company's magazine and a few other clients at just past eleven. I jump in my car setting off for the hotel using the google map to get the location. Friday mid-morning traffic is a nightmare but once I'm out of the city, the drive onward is pretty straightforward with the help of the map. The sun is out. Dua Lipa is keeping me company and it's Friday. A little drive to the Beverley hillside is a lovely way to finish my work week.

As I drive past a few huge houses and restaurants, my map instructs me to pull off the main road and onto a little lane, where I find myself in front of the biggest gate I have ever seen. A metal plaque on a wall states 'The Wilde West.'

My goodness! I sit forward-looking past the gate, at a humongous and luxuriant estate with a perfectly round courtyard. I hear a metal squeak and the gate starts to open for me to drive through it. I slowly drive in and I'm hit with the glorious view of the huge house that demands its attention. It's so beautiful. My anticipation for this meeting dampening at the sight before me.

I have never seen anything like it, neither have I ever heard of this place before. I spot a few people taking a stroll and others sitting by a fountain, all enjoying the mid-morning sun. I drive to the front of the entrance and a valet walks right up to my car, opening the door for me.

'Thank you.' I say, handing him the keys to my car as I get out.

I walk past him towards the glass doors - decorated with silver metals - marched by four bay windows and brick walls. The door opens from the inside and I cross the threshold into a huge entrance hall. I gaze around the vast area and I'm immediately impressed by the grand central and curved staircase. A few people walking in and out, on the stairs, and sitting on the side in the large room.

Spotting the reception straight ahead, I make my way there momentarily diverted from my curious course. Behind the solid sandstone desk, a tall, groomed, man smiles at me. 'Hello and welcome to The Wilde West.' He says routinely. 'How may I help you?'

'Josephine Patterson, Alkahest Retailers.' I reply. 'I'm here to see Miss McCartney.'

'Excuse me for one moment, Miss Patterson.' He arches his eyebrow slightly as I stand self-conscious before him. A very attractive, blonde woman in her thirties, dressed impeccably in black and white pops out of a door behind the front desk almost immediately. 'Ma'am, I have Miss Patterson here to see you.' He says moving aside.

The woman looks at me with recognition and welcomes me with a smile. 'Miss Patterson,' Her hands move towards me and I clasp them in a handshake. 'It's a pleasure. I'm Elizabeth McCartney, superintendent.' She says mildly. 'Please call me, Elizabeth.'

'Hi Elizabeth, Please call me Josephine.' I smile.

'Thank you for coming,' She says 'please excuse me a minute.' She smiles courtesy. I nod my go ahead and she turns to the clerk 'Edward, please ring room 216 and tell them the car is waiting.'

'Yes ma'am.' Edward picks the telephone on the desk immediately.

'Please come with me, Josephine.' She gestures towards her left.

'Okay,' I follow behind her.

We walk towards a straight corridor behind the stairs and head down a large hall.

The decor is opulent, lush, and very intimidating. A hint of Silver metals and original woodwork, a mahogany grey plaque. Everything is perfect.

My phone starts to vibrate in my bag and I search through my bag for it to know who it is. It's Drew. He's probably wondering where my reply to his inappropriate voicemail is. I huff at my phone, stabbing at the red button. I turn off my phone and stuff it in my bag as I continue down the hall.