ONE

**********

"What's the fun in doing what you're told?"-Girls by The 1975

***********

[CHAPTER ONE]

THE BEGINNING OF AN UNLIKELY FRIENDSHIP

SUMMER WAS LACEY'S FAVOURITE TIME OF YEAR .It was the only time we're she could get piss drunk and have a valid excuse for it .This was her chance to forget everything that happened in the last year and get drunk enough to end up on some random persons kitchen floors- which surprisingly she did a lot these days. In some way getting drunk enough to forget her surroundings and the life around her, made her happy. It kind of filled the void in her life, emphasis on the words kind off.

Doing things that some people say may ruin your live, was the only thing that made the girl feel alive. Don't get me wrong, Lacey Reynolds didn't look for death when swallowing down multiple cups of alcohol or while popping pills at a party, but she wasn't exactly apposed to it either. In some sick, messed up way, Lacey enjoyed the feeling of being on the verge of death - never quite there but close enough she could feel it. She lived for that moment of silence when her body was trying to digest whatever illegal substance she was pumping into herself. Right then it was quite. She didn't have to worry about her mother or brother, or how messed up her past is. It was just quite and she was all alone.

She liked being alone, Nobody to impress or pretend around. Just her and her thoughts. The smile that plastered on her face in public left, and the deemed royalty of the island, would struggle to catch her breathe between panic attacks and mental breakdowns.  Her blonde hair seemed to loose her shine when alone, with her smile also loosing it's sparkle. That was okay however, because being alone was the only way the girl knew how to live. Ftiends we're always overrated in Lacey Reynolds mind.

      Summer was not just Lacey's favorite time of year, it was a period were the girl came alive. The only time she dropped the good girl act to become a part of her, that truly surprised everyone. It was as though she stopped caring about being that perfect rich kid from the Figure eight for once in her life and acted quite literally, like a spoiled kid gone wrong.

The legend around The Lacey Reynolds was wild, even Lacey sometimes couldn't believe some rumors going around the town about herself - like that one time people assumed she ran away on tour with some band from New Mexico, which was obviously false. She just disappeared for a week, going on what she liked to call a really good high. Which truthfully the girl didn't remember much from, but did end up somewhere close to New Mexico at the end of the week - so that part was slightly true.

      Lacey Reynolds was reckless, She knew that part of the rumors were true. However she liked the attention that came with being the mystery of Outer Banks, nobody knew her and she didn't have time to know anybody else. People knew the part of the girl she wanted them to see, the wild one, the perfect spoiled kook, the average grades and most of all, the family legacy. She kept the name perfectly clean,  going to inherit the business in a couple of years - maybe when her mother choose a suitable bachelor. Either way, life for Lacey was already planned out, she was just trying to survive the ride.