Episode 2: gaming store

You were running late. You had taken a
nap and woke up with thirty minutes until you started. Rushing along the counter you briefly looked down to check your map to see which direction you took of course this lead to you tripping on the side of a bench. As you fell to the ground with a loud thud your map went flying and you watched helplessly as the map bounced, and bounced, and bounced right into the sink.

"Crap" you swore as you got up and ran over to the railing of the sink and looked at the map hit the water and sink. You sighed turned away from the sink and began walking down the street.

————————————————————

It took you about 13 more minutes but eventually after getting some help from a friendly scrambled egg you managed to find your way to the frog's kitchen gaming shop.

You took a deep breath and enter the shop. The first Thing you noticed was that the shop was not grand it was dimly lit, one of the lights in the back flickering, cobwebs lined the ceiling and the selves were completely empty.

"Hello there" Jim said walking up to you from behind  a shelf.

"What do you think" he said looking a bit nervous.

"It's.... well I didn't expect it to be this run down" you said gazing around the store.

"Yes well the thing is the store isn't actually open but we're very close i think with a day of work we could be open tomorrow." Jim said as he reached back onto a shelf and hands you a name tag and uniform.

"So the store isn't open yet" you say looking at him skeptically.

"Look it's always Been my dream to open a gaming shop I need you to just go along with this if you wanna quit after today I'll be fine with that but if you help me today I'll pay you 100 dollars" Jim hung his head you considered your options. You new you had to get through this day as tomorrow you wouldn't have enough money for your apartment. You also hadn't been able to find any work elsewhere and you needed money. And with that you made up your mind.

"I'm not gonna quit" you replied to Jim.

"Y-you don't want to quit" Jim said as he looked up at you genuine surprise in his eyes.

"Nope this was the only job I could find and also you seem like a decent guy just tell the next person the store isn't open" you say as you stand looking at Jim.

"Thank you so much can you start cleaning the cobwebs out, talk to Diego he should known where the ladder is" Jim says letting out a sigh of relief.

"Great" you say and begin walking over to the croissant in the back who's sweeping the floor. You reach over to them and tap their shoulder.

"Are you Diego and if so where's a ladder" you say as you wait for a response.

"Yep that's me, and the ladder is behind the last shelf. Diego replays turning around and handing you a feather duster.

"Thank you" you utter as you walk away.

As you go to pick up the ladder you see Jim talking to someone at the door. You wonder how they are handling the news that the store isn't open.

————————————————————

It's the end of the day as Diego puts the last joystick of the shelf.

"Alright I suppose we should discuss who's going to play what role" Jim says as Diego hogs over to the rest of the group.

"I think I'll be the janitor" Diego proclaims through heavy breaths. He was right he had single handedly sweep the floors and stock a lot of the shelves.

"Alright Diego will be the janitor, who wants to be the cashier, y/n" Jim gazed at you quizzically.

"Sure I'll be a cashier" you say as you lean against one of the shelves.

"Alright and that only leaves customer support, Alex?" Jim offers.

"Sure I think I can handle people pretty well" Alex says picking himself off the carpeted floor.

"Great then it's decided" Jim says As he reaches into the depths of his pockets. "And as promised" Jim hands each of you one hundred dollars.

"Bye"

"See you later"

"Peace out"

"Goodbye"

————————————————————

Your walking home the sun is setting over the sink as you look down into the sink you see your map plastered against the metal walls. You sigh and continue onto the hotel.

When you reach the hotel the receptionist asks

"Turning in your key or staying another night"

"I'll be staying another night" you tiredly sigh.

"That'll be twenty dollars"  the bacon says reaching their hand out.

You reach into your tattered paper bag and pull out some coins hand them to the receptionist. After a moment of counting they wave you in.

You walk through the dimly lit lobby, the same group loudly playing cards, walk down hallway b, unlock your door and collapse unto the bed slowly drifting into a dreamless sleep.