Epilogue

When Hermione Granger woke up from her bed in the Hospital Wing, the first words that escaped her lips, in a croaking voice, were Harry's and Cedric's name. She closed her eyes tight as visions of the day's events flooded her mind, overwhelming her as she cried out in pain.

Hermione saw herself in the Ministry with the others, being separated from half of them and running in a flurry of spells and hexes with Death Eaters following close behind. The fear and panic that ran through her veins then, coursed through her again and she bit her lip hard as the vision of Harry, Neville and her struggling to keep up with their counter-attacks while trying to defend themselves flashed in her mind. The last vision that came to her mind was one of Cedric, of his sudden appearance as he casted a hex against one of the Death Eaters who had been targeting Hermione. After that, everything else went black. Her eyes flew open again.

"Hermione." Ginny gently placed her hand atop Hermione's. "It's alright, you are in the Hospital Wing back at Hogwarts. You lost consciousness during the battle with those foul Death Eaters."

"Where's Harry and Cedric?" Hermione croaked out again. Ginny knowingly brought a glass of water to Hermione's lips and allowed the fifth-year to take a long sip before placing it on her bedside table again. "Where are they?"

"Harry," Ginny paused, "Harry's hiding himself somewhere in the castle, Ron and Neville's trying to find him. But he's alright, save for a few injuries here and there."

Hermione noted Ginny had a few light injuries of her own as well. "Are you okay?" Ginny smiled and nodded. "What about Cedric?"

"Cedric's not around." Ginny uneasily said.

"What happened to him?" Hermione quickly pulled herself up, wincing as she did so. "Ginny, is Cedric injured?"

Ginny bit her lower lip. "Well, he has a broken rib." Hermione's eyes widened as a mixture of shock and anger colored her features. "But it's a minor injury so Madam Pomfrey has gotten him fixed, just a little difficulty when he attempts to move much."

"Where is he?" Hermione demanded, feeling rather delirious by the second.

"Grimmauld Place."

"The Order? Why is he there?"

"The consequences of the battle were awful. We lost someone along the way and the Ministry's all messed up and everything; the news are flying so fast and everyone's scared now that the truth is revealed. So Cedric's there helping out with all that he can."

"Why is he there when he's barely able to move himself?" Hermione frowned angrily.

"He's part of the Order, remember?" Ginny gently mollified Hermione. "He'll be back soon. He was here hours earlier, holding your hand as Madam Pomfrey fixed him up."

"He came like he said he would." Hermione softly whispered. Something else that Ginny had said made her looked up again. "You said we lost someone. Who was it?"

Ginny's gaze averted from Hermione's. "Sirius." The redhead's voice was barely audible to Hermione's ears but she caught the name all the same. Tears welled up in Hermione's brown orbs and without even bothering to conceal them, she allowed the tears to fall freely. Her hand flew to her mouth as she tried to muffle the sounds of her sorrow. Her shoulders shook violently as tears continued to crash down her cheeks. Ginny turned to Hermione with her own red eyes. The redhead reached out to Hermione and pulled the older girl in a hug. Together, they cried for the passing of someone whom they had grown to love and deeply care for in just two years – 'an awfully short time', Hermione thought as she argued at the unfairness of it. Her heart ached not just for his passing, but for Harry as well. At the thought of her best friend, she knew that no words could comfort him now and he needed to have the time to sort out his thoughts before anyone should say anything. Her eyes flew up when she felt another pair of arms wrapping themselves around her. Luna gave her a small, sad smile of understanding. Hermione reached out for the Ravenclaw and enveloped her in their hug.