Out the Window

"Fever dream high in the quiet of the night, 

You know that I caught it. 

Bad, bad boy, shiny toy with a price, 

you know that I bought it. 

Killing me slow, out the window,

I'm always waiting for you to be waiting below. 

Devils roll the dice, angels roll their eyes, 

What doesn't kill me makes me want you more."

This takes place during/before/around TCP. It's a little shorter because I'm gonna split it into two parts teehee.

Cardan knew that there were a lot of great things about Faerie—he was, after all, a prince, and experienced each wonder to the highest degree. But on one cool night, just before dawn, he decided that he had found the best.

Cardan could hear his older brother's raised voice from his second story room, and the muffled tone told him it must be coming from the parlor at the far end of the hall. The dinner Balekin hosted for the rosy-skinned suitor and her father had wrapped up hours ago, but it appeared the deliberations about his decision to officially court her were reaching a climax of their own. Crawling out of bed and putting an ear to the door, Cardan could make out snatches of the "conversation" between his brother and the girl's father, who seemed to be at odds about the relationship.

It was all too much, Cardan thought. If he couldn't feel anything above lust for a faerie girl, Balekin must not be able to either. But the young prince was restless, and staying in his stuffy chambers was unappealing. Instead, he slipped on a pair of trousers and a blouse. Before slipping out the window, Cardan grabbed a novel at random from the nearest shelf and proceeded to jump between ledges to reach the ground.

The prince began to trek through the woods next to the estate, having little care for how far he went or in what direction he wandered. He watched the bark on the trees change from a dark oak to a milky white, and continued on until the branches became sparser and sparser and the moonlight illuminated his path better.

The grass was thick and filled with white, pink, and baby blue flowers by the time Cardan decided to sit down. The air here was thick with a sweet scent, but it wasn't the magical kind that brought energy to his bones. This scent was the kind that could lull one to sleep, like enchanted poppies. He was still restless, however, and instead lay down on a cushion of grass and began to read the book he had brought. It was a collection of stories from L. Frank Baum's "The Wizard of Oz", and the bright imagery soothed him as he flipped through the pages and felt his ever racing heart began to rest.

That was, until he heard a crash through the brush to his left.

"What the hell?" Cardan asked himself as he shot up and through the book down. It sounded as if someone had been running quickly from their spot watching him, and the thought of being spied upon while reading was more embarrassing than politically concerning. With the knot in his stomach giving him energy, Cardan began to race after the sound in the woods.

The teenage boy's long legs brought him quickly to a figure in a brown cloak, still running fast. Cardan took a leap and tackled the person from behind, using one hand to undo the clasp of the cloak and the other to tear off the thick hood.

Though the person hadn't been panting as they ran, her breath came fast as Jude looked up at Cardan with wide eyes. "I'm sorry--" she began, trying to squirm loose enough to run again. "I didn't see anything, I just—I'm going, I'm going home."

Cardan loosened his grip on Jude, but kept a hand around her wrist to keep her from going. "What were you doing out there?" he said, trying to keep his voice even. Cardan prayed that Jude couldn't see the heat rushing up his neck and cheeks in the dim light, though he felt it all the same.

She shook her head, eyes still wide, and tried to turn around.

"I asked you a question." Cardan tightened his grip on Jude's wrist and tugged her back toward him. She stumbled backwards and turned to face him.

"I just wanted to get out of the house," she replied, face even. He could tell, however, that her pupils were blown with adrenaline. Whether it be from the fight or from seeing him in the most embarrassing of situations, he was unsure.

"Then why go back?" he asked her. Cardan was careful to add the lilt of somebody who didn't care to his question, though his racing heart and knotting stomach were proof of the hope behind what was really a request.

"My spot is obviously occupied," Jude quipped, and Cardan's eyebrows shot up.

"Your spot?" he snorted. "I'll remind you that I am the prince, Jude. All of Elfhame is my spot."

"Okay. So I'll go home." Jude turned on her heel as Cardan finally released her wrist and watched her go.

"You don't have to," he breathed once she was a few steps away. Cardan would have assumed she didn't hear him but for the slightest hitch in her step. As quick as it happened, though, she continued on her way.

Cardan released a breath and turned around himself, resolving to grab his book and head home.