02

Haechan often disappeared.

Jaemin didn't much try to make friends or go out to the parties and when there were dorm parties on their floor, he kept the door closed and sometimes he would lock it so that nobody came in.

Haechan was busy. He would come in and he would go out and sometimes he wouldn't come back until the next day. The first time he came back the next day was the first day a party was held on their floor and when he closed the door, he seemed a little confused as to why he had been locked out. Jaemin apologised and explained that he didn't really trust the people not to barge in and thankfully Haechan seemed to understand.

The weeks fly by in college.

It's already the third week and in the third week, Haechan has managed to come back late almost every night. So, when he doesn't return the Thursday evening, Jaemin wonders if he should ask. So far, the two have kept out of each other's personal lives. Haechan gave up on asking him to come with him on Friday evenings to parties and wherever the hell it was he ended up going. And so, their douse of conversation has kept to their classes, tests, lecturers and whether the door should just be closed or whether it should be locked. And frankly, it isn't any of Jaemin's business. But somehow, he also felt responsible; if something bad happened to his roommate, it would somehow be his fault. In truth, at some point he found himself looking out for the little characteristics that he could recall; the tells between vampires and humans, in Haechan. Especially considering how much he was never at the dorm. (He couldn't pick up any.)

When he returned to the dorm as Haechan was walking in himself on Friday, Jaemin didn't immediately go to his bed. Haechan immediately drops his bag onto his bed and starts lifting his sweater. Jaemin's brows furrow. And he looks away.

"It's okay you know. I don't need privacy or anything," Haechan chuckles.

Jaemin nods and tries not to show how embarrassed he is as he makes his way over to his bed and places his bag down. After a moment, he walks to his desk and leans against the chair as he looks at Haechan.

"You're never here," he says. So casually yet the tone takes a whole different turn than he means it to. It comes out a little more accusingly than he would have liked but he doesn't stress about it when Haechan looks at him sheepishly.

"I know," he replies. Rubbing his hand behind the back of his neck. He's nervous, but why?

"Where do you go?" Jaemin asks when the other doesn't seem like he's going to just give more information willingly.

"I didn't want to freak you out," his roommate starts and then he sighs and ruffles his hair. His eyebrows peak; they're thick and brown which means that the head of colour on his head isn't natural (though with how much it seems to match his skin tone, Jaemin could have been easily fooled.)

"How would you freak me out?"

"My boyfriend goes here. He has a dorm room to himself, so I spend some nights there," Haechan explains. "I didn't know if me being gay would freak you out or make things awkward."

"It doesn't," Jaemin replies simply. Then, "Why didn't you get a dorm room together then?"

Haechan laughs then but Jaemin doesn't think he's said anything funny.

"His mom is very against the idea of the two of us spending nights alone together. So, she went and filled in his form and requested he have a room alone."

"That isn't very smart though."

"No, not really. Then again, he says that she thinks the college is strict. Curfews and people needing to be in their rooms at certain times or they would be in trouble." He shrugs like it's nothing. "We don't tell her she's wrong of course."