VIII: Messy Situations

"I missed you, Azlin."

Azlin freezes, not knowing what to do as she glances at the flashing camera lights and the looks of shock and confusion of the people around them. At first, she considers pulling back to keep the hug from looking too intimate, but judging by the way Ben has his arms tightly wrapped around her, it makes it clear to her that Ben really doesn't care about hiding their friendship--or whatever this is--from the public eye anymore.

Hence, she just accepts the fact that the media will start knowing about them from hereon, and decides to hug back. Fuck it; she hadn't seen him for a whole month. Might as well savor the moment now he's here.

"You're crazy, Ben." she whispers, in which he just chuckles. "But I definitely missed you too."

Ben finally pulls back and flashes her a smug smile. "Surprised you again, didn't I?"

"But how?" She pulls him to an angle where they are facing away from the cameras and at the same time prevent the others from overhearing. "You're supposed to be filming in London right now!"

"Well, I had to pull a few strings." He shrugs. "I just really wanted to be here for you."

Azlin couldn't contain her smile at the mere thought that Ben had to go through so much effort just to be able to come to her exhibit. It's definitely the sweetest thing someone's ever done for her in her entire life.

"Oh, and one more thing! I brought a friend." Ben smiles cheekily. Just then, another wave of loud chattering and clicking of cameras are heard by the entrance of the gallery, and at this point the crowd is definitely going crazy that the security personnel had to form a human barricade to contain them and prevent the people from flooding into the gallery. However, a man casually dressed in a navy blue cardigan and grey trousers manages to push through the crowd.

"Sorry, got a bit held up back there," the man takes the spot beside Ben, and it takes Azlin a few seconds to realize that it's none other than Joe Mazzello. JOE freaking MAZZELLO.

Azlin had to cover her mouth to prevent her jaw from dropping to the floor, unable to believe that this is all happening. She could only look at Ben incredulously, her eyes feeling like they would pop out of their sockets any second.

"Hello, nice to finally meet you." Joe extends his hand for a handshake, and Azlin tries her best to keep her hand from shaking as she accepts it.

"A-Azlin," she stammers. "My name is Azlin. Oh my God I'm sorry, I just can't believe you're actually here."

"Why didn't you act like that when you first met me?" Ben complains. He looks at Joe as if he'll know the answer.

"I dunno Ben, maybe I'm actually more beautiful than you are?"

"Oh please," Ben rolls his eyes at him. "Fortunately, Joe's within the area so I thought it would be great to tag him along so you two can finally meet. Although now I realize it might not be a good idea..."

"Yes, Ben has said a lot of things about you." Joe ignores him and winks at Azlin, his words obviously holding a lot more meaning. "And I assume Ben has said a lot of things about me too?"

"Oh he did," Azlin shakes her head and laughs. "He usually sends me a picture of you then proceeds to backstab you."

"I knew it," Joe flashes Ben a disappointed stare. But then he shrugs and looks back at Azlin. "But it's okay. I backstab him with Gwilym too."

Ben whines at this, making Azlin burst in laughter. She immediately falls comfortable with Joe's presence because of his sense of humor. Now that he's standing before her, she realizes that Ben had been absolutely right; Joe Mazello is definitely a genuine and amazing guy. And indeed, it feels like she's starting to form an alliance with him against Ben.