Chapter 2

Draco very groggily woke later that day to an empty bed. He lazily felt around beside him on the mattress with an outstretched arm, making a whining noise when he felt no Harry. He opened his eyes against the light in their bedroom to find himself staring directly at the alarm clock on Harry's side of the bed. It was 4 minutes until noon. Draco shot straight up into a sitting position, suddenly very awake.

"Oh good you're awake," said his boyfriend, standing at the dresser with water rolling off of him. He wore nothing but a towel around his waist. His voice was low and raw. He hadn't gotten nearly enough sleep. Neither of them had.

Draco looked at him incredulously. "I was supposed to be at work at 9:30 this morning! Why didn't my alarm go off?" He stood from the bed and quickly walked to the bathroom.

Harry stopped him in his tracks by placing a hand on his forearm. "I called in for both of us. You need the rest. I didn't get home until 7:15, and you were still awake. I know you didn't sleep the night before last either. You never sleep when I'm gone." Harry's green eyes looked into Draco's gray ones with concern but more than that, pleading.

Draco would've thanked Harry if he had been someone else. But Draco was a Malfoy; he had his pride and more important things to do than waste a day's worth of work staying in bed. It also didn't help that he was not a morning person and was very grouchy when he was woken up. "Thank you for your concern, Harry," he said harshly, "but I have work to do today. I can't just skip out on my responsibilities to stay home and cuddle because you want me to." Draco tapped his foot and began brushing his teeth as Harry answered.

"I just thought it would be nice for the both of us. We're running on just a bit more than four hours of sleep in two days. I mean maybe I'm wrong but I assumed you'd appreciate the break and the chance for some worry-free sleep." Harry's voice was still kind as he watched Draco rush to get ready for the day with unintended puppy dog eyes. His own task of getting dressed was momentarily forgotten.

Many thoughts passed through his mind in response to Harry's assumption, but one in particular stood out. He fought with himself not to say it, but finally decided he needed to get it off of his chest and Harry off of his back. "'Worry-free sleep'? Really? Ha! I wish that was ever even a possibility! I could only imagine what that's like." Draco tossed his toothbrush into the holder and tugged off Harry's shirt. "'Worry-free' isn't in my vocabulary. No, because I have to stay home while you're out on dangerous assignments and then be able to sleep like it never happened when you're back?" Draco was almost yelling now and dramatically gesturing his arms as he did so. He closed his eyes, clenched and unclenched his fists, and sighed. He softened his voice, "Do you know how much I love you? I worry about you every single day. I could lose you, you know? I don't think I could handle that, Harry. How the hell am I supposed to get some 'worry-free sleep'? How am I supposed to just stop worrying to have a day at home with you instead of going to work?"

Harry's jaw was slack. He didn't know what to say. Draco had never voiced this concern before. He'd had no clue he was keeping this inside. He slowly took steps toward Draco with his apology, concern, and affection obvious in his eyes. "Dray..." he whispered as he pulled the taller boy in for a comforting hug. As soon as he was in Harry's embrace, Draco lost most of his worry. He always felt better in his war-hero-boyfriend's arms. They stood holding each other without words for a few moments.

"I'm sorry," Draco was the first to break the silence. He pulled out of the Gryffindor's arms and angrily wiped the stray tears from his eyes. He began to ramble, "It's stupid I know. I know you can take care of yourself. I know you're good at your job. I know you're well-trained and never alone and always prepared. But it's hard, Harry." His frustration was building again. "You don't understand. I'm rarely in danger at my job. You don't have to worry about me nearly as much. And I know you. You're constantly looking for danger. You always have been, since we were kids. And I trust that you're not going to be stupid and get yourself killed recklessly. It's just that-I just—UGH! I hate you." Draco shoved hard on Harry's chest and he stumbled backwards until the backs of his knees hit the bed and he sat. Draco turned back to the bathroom and started to slam the door but Harry waved a hand to stop it wandlessly.

He lifted a brow at Draco's bare back. "You hate me?" This happened on a regular basis. When the men would argue—play or genuine—they'd use those words in place of "I love you." It was understood to mean basically the same when directed at one another. "You still wear my shirt all the time, Malfoy. . . And we live together. . . And we sleep together. . . And we have a kneazle together. . . And I love you, so come here and nap with me."

Draco stood with his back to Harry in silence, arms crossed in front of his chest.

Harry's voice was gentle when he spoke again. "I'm not going anywhere, Dray. I'm not going to leave on some dangerous mission today. So let's at least spend today knowing I'm right here?"

If he was being honest, he truly did want to stay home with Harry. Slowly, Draco turned to face him. "You can't just call me out of work, Harry." His words and expression were angry but he was already walking to join his boyfriend on their bed. "And at least I can pull off your shirt," he added.

Harry smiled as Draco climbed onto their bed, into his lap. "Are you saying I can't pull it off?" Harry asked into Draco's shoulder.

"Your words," Draco responded, "not mine."

The day was very slow. The couple slept through most of it, waking up occasionally because one of them had to use the bathroom or needed a snack. Draco didn't break the physical contact with Harry at all unless he absolutely had to. He constantly was holding his hand, had his arm around his waist, played with his hair, draped a leg over his, was his little spoon, nuzzled into his side, or, at one point while Harry wanted to get them water, held a fistful of his shirt (Harry did eventually put on a shirt and some boxers). The rest of the day was blissfully uneventful.

•••

The alarm clock beeped angrily from Harry's side of the bed. Draco opened a single eye and groaned in agony as he sat up and turned off the noise. He supposed he had to go to work today. Disappointed, he saw Harry was again already out of bed. Although this time, he did not leave his wand on the bedside table. Instead there was a note.

Got called in early. Muffin in the kitchen. Have a good day. I love you.
~H

Draco huffed. If he was called in early, it could possibly mean four things — there was lots to catch up on from yesterday, there's a meeting or call from the Ministry, he needed to finish reports from the last assignment, or there was a new assignment. With him just getting home, Draco wasn't very concerned, just annoyed. And cold. He assumed this would be an average day, so he dragged himself out of bed and got ready for work, making sure to grab the muffin on his way out.

•••

It was almost 4 in the afternoon when Draco got the call. "You did what?" He shouted, causing a disturbance in his office.

The murderer they'd caught only two days before was apparently not working alone, or he had followers, or something. Draco didn't really hear anything after, "We sent Potter out with a couple others, and the others came back covered in his blood."

Draco was storming out of the building and yelling to the people on the other end of the line. "I don't give a shit who else was in danger! Harry is all that matters! The whole bloody fucking world could be in danger and I wouldn't send Harry even if he was the only one who could save it!! He's the Boy-Who-Lived for goddamn sake!  Hasn't he been through enough??" He hung up as he Apparated to St. Mungo's.

•••

So what'd ya think of chapter 2? I can always use some pure stubborn Malfoy in a fic. Personally, I think Harry puts up with a lot of his shit, always ready to welcome Draco back into his arms when he calms down or comes to his senses.