1

Sunday, November 2ND, 2302. 6:12 AM-Musutafu; Tokyo, Japan.

"In the beginning, there was a darkness."

No light shed through to your heart as you sat in the cold, empty apartment. It was run down and didn't have any furniture, but that's what you called your twisted sentiment of a "home".

You did have one companion, though.

You turned towards one lone plant in a slightly broken pot across the room, sitting daintily on the windowsill. You had no idea what it was, but it smelled kinda funky and tickled your nose whenever you tried. You named him Stan. You smiled at Stan, squinting your eyes before slowly opening your mouth.

"Aloe Stan... long thyme no see." You gave a toothy grin to your homely plant before getting up to stretch, accidentally catching a whiff of yourself. You coughed at the pungent morning stench as you got up to take a cold shower.

Walking out, brushing your teeth, you looked into the mirror. Anyone could walk up and tell you that you were pretty, but you didn't know that you could believe that yourself. You grabbed some cheap foundation and mascara (since that's all you could really afford) and used it very sparingly. You looked into the mirror and sighed, starting to dry your hair.

Your anemia was showing through. You were paled and a lot more skinny than usual. Your eye bags sagged. You felt white noise in the back of your head, staring at yourself through the mirror a bit too intently. Rubbing your pretty (e/c) eye, you walked out to go and water Stan before dressing into a t-shirt, jacket, and jeans. Sluggishly putting on some beat up sneakers, you said goodbye to your plant and went on your way.

~~

The sky was rugged and the town was eerily quiet. You supposed no one would be awake on a Sunday. You decided to head toward your favorite shop- it was a tiny coffee shop owned by a small, nimble woman named Ying. You didn't know her surname, because all she ever wanted you to call her was ying. She was very nice, and you opted to work there sometimes when you weren't so busy with your "real job".

Entering the shop, you were immediately welcomed by the warm atmosphere and a bell chime, making you remember that you don't have AC in your house.  You looked around, your eyes moving feverishly to find the kind old woman.

"Ying?" you called out softly, your raspy voice parched.

There was no response.

"Ying?" you called a little louder, anxiety was creeping up onto you.

'she's upstairs.... sleeping...' a premonition eerily creaked into the back of your mind.

You furrowed you eyebrows and held your head for your newfound headache, leaning away from the shop as a mosquito landing on you, but immediately exploding and wilting away. You looked down at the mosquito with disgust, wondering what kind of karma it had for a death like that. Looking away, you rubbed your eyes and continued to walk down the street.

"KEEkekekekekeke..." you looked up at the sound of laughter, meeting your eyes with a naked mosquito villain.

oh.

"Aw~ why doesn't she have a lot of blood on her? Well, whatever. its good enough for me~!" She smiled with furrowed eyebrows, diving towards you.

You squinted your eyes, blinking. "Dude.... put some clothes on..."

~~

Ah, shit. You got blood on your sneakers.

You walked away from the bloody massacre with only a tiny scratch on your face. Blood was splattered and pooling everywhere- buildings and ground. You felt bad for whoever needed to clean up your mess. Good thing no one saw that.

Or so you thought.

A rugged man in black clothing and a long scarf that masked with the dreary sky watched you very closely. He was terrified of what he just saw. How could an innocent girl be so...? He couldn't even find the words. He didn't know if he could erase a quirk like that.

He would have to pull further investigation.

~~

You decided on going to the library. You needed more research on the human anatomy. Finding the weak points of the opponent was extremely important in your work. You were very smart and information came and stuck to you very easily. You walked up and into the building right when it just started to drizzle.

The rain escalated into a huge downpour while you were welcomed by the smell of old books and hazelnut incense. The atmosphere was warm and you could almost taste the overhanging despair and tension of college, high school, and all types of people alike. You weren't sure, but you think there was an exam called "midterms" around this time of year, since that's when people started to clutter around the longstanding physical form of an encyclopedia.

Most gossip you heard was at this place. You could almost call it a sick form of socialization. You weren't permitted to own anything and make it a record, so you couldn't have a phone, nor internet, nor any form of socialization with a record. As the saying goes, what goes on the internet, stays there forever (you read that in a book about cyber risks). You certainly didn't want the mafia to find you, and no one ever told you how to make a bank account.

You chose a college level anatomy book, and then found a weird, nameless book that was covered by a brown leather strap. You were curious, and had an itching premonition to take it.

At this exact moment, you felt like something vile was happening; Foul play stung your senses as you tensed at this foreign foreboding feeling. Fate was churning its wheels and you felt like you didn't want to be a part of it. You felt so out of place.

Your legs started to move on their own. You started to blindly speed walk before bumping into a rock solid chest, making you drop both of your books.

"Move it extra." Said a pair of hungry red eyes.