Part 2

Thank you for the votes and comments for the first part.  Enjoy reading.

  It was my first day in college and we were heading to the stadium to see my bestie's sweet heart from high school.  Rudy was 2 years elder to Bhavya and their relationship started from high school.  So after school Bhavya decided to join the same college were Rudy is studying and being her best friend from kindergarten I followed her to the same college.  Rudy was a part of college football team and was in practice and she decided to give him a surprise by visiting there.  We were so engrossed in finding Rudy that I didn't notice the ball that came flying in my direction. By the time I noticed,  it was too late and I squeezed my eyes shut waiting for it to hit my face.  But it never did. I peeled open my eyes to see that my face was saved from the smashing of the ball by a pair of strong arms and the one who saved me was looking at me with a small smile.  That was the day I started  crushing on the popular boy of the college,  specifically the football team captain,  Omkara Singh Oberoi.

   By each passing days my crush on  him intensified but I never got the guts to admit that to anybody,  not even Bhavya. He was in his final year and I  thought maybe after he leave the college I will get over with that crush. By the year ending I felt miserable thinking about not seeing him,  who became my habit. But to my pleasure he came back to the same  college for his PG. I was in cloud nine even though I was not planning about the confession of my feelings.  I was really afraid to give that power to someone to break my heart.  I was desperately trying to protect it. But after few months I couldn't  go on like that and I decided to confess it to Omkara.

   That day I went to college determined only to run back to my hostel room heartbroken. The entire college was celebrating the togetherness of Popular boy Omkara and the college Queen bee Ridhimma Kapoor. That was the day I realised that it was never a crush,  I was deeply in love with him.  Bhavya got to know about it on the same day and was furious that I didn't give her a hint about it. She told she could have done something.  Maybe she was right,  Rudy being his best friend,  they could have helped me. But everything was over by the time I  realised it. The remaining college days was literally a living hell for me. They never broke apart and I swear I never wanted that too. I can never see him heartbroken no matter whom his heart belongs to.

  Then after college I went to law college. I tried to forget him but it was never easy,  he was a constan topic of social medias, tabloids and magazines given to the popularity of his family. Then I learned to accept the truth,  that I can never get over him and started to read every single thing medias offered about him. I literally became a stalker.  When I was in the last year of my law college his parents died in an accident. I was so tempted to run to him and give him comfort but the thing was he don't even know me. I cried for him alone. After six months the news came out that he got engaged to Ridhimma. Eventually they got married in the same year.  He became the CEO of his company.  Now after all these years I met him in a vulnerable state. My heart went for him when he said he wants her back.  I saw desperation in his eyes.

   ****** **** **

  By the time I reached down to go for my office,  Mom was waiting for me with my favourite breakfast. I raised one of eyebrow in question. I was expecting a fuming Mom not the one with charming smile.  Maybe I very well know her intentions. I quietly started my breakfast waiting for her to drop the bomp.

  "Gudiya,  you know I met Mrs. Mehta  yesterday in the park and she was saying about this guy.."

   I didn't let her finish. "Mom you very well that I'm going turn it down,  then why are you not giving up. I don't know how hard it is for you to understand that I'm not going to marry ever. I don't want to become your version 2,  Mom. Please."

  "I don't know why  you're not trying to understand that every marriage is  not a failure. "

"I'm a divorce lawyer Mom. You think  I don't know enough about this. I have seen you breaking down each passing days.  I was thirteen Mom.  I still remember the day when Dad just walked out of us. You were broken.  I was pleading him.  I'm sure you would've committed suicide if I was not there.  Till now you couldn't come out that loneliness you felt after him.  Do you want me to be the same."

   "Oh God! Gudiya I'm so sorry,  it's all because of me. You're afraid of commitments coz of my broken relationship. I feel pathetic. "

   "Mom,  don't,  it's not that. I will never... " My explanation cut short by my mobile ringing.  "Yes Ria? "

   "Gauri I'm outside.  Come fast you have an urgent meeting with Mr. Verma within half an hour. We should reach office before that. " That's when I remember that I left my car in office to come home with Rudy last night and asked Ria to pick me up.

   "I'm sorry Mom I have to leave.  We will discuss it when I come back. Okay?  Love you Mom."

  ****** *** ***

   On the way to office I replayed everything said between Mom and me. I know it was rude of me to let her think that my fear for commitment is because of her broken marriage.  But it's the truth though.  I was only thirteen and Mom and me became alone after Dad.  There's were a love marriage and both the families were against it. They fought together for their marriage and got married without the consent of the families.  But they couldn't fought together when the harsh realities of the married life hit them,  instead they started to fight with each other. 

  The broken image of Mom got imprinted to my head that I couldn't think about love or marriage without a shudder. But that certain someone gave me a different vibe in our first meeting.  His presence,  his eyes gave me a sense of security.  I was willing to risk it.  He made me put my guard down.  But alas by the time I made my mind everything was over.  Mom and Bhavya tried to set me up with few guys,  but I never got that sense of security around anyone.

  My mind drifted back to the conversation I had with Rudra after Om's departure,  which proved me that I was not wrong about Omkara when I thought he will hold me when I fall.  When he left us,  I couldn't stop myself from saying "I think Ridhimma is very lucky.  Your friend is ready to let go of  his pride and go after her to convince her to give their marriage another chance.  He really loves her. " I felt jealous.

   I was still looking at the door while saying it and Rudy's humourless laugh  brought my attention back to him.  "You wish. It's anything but love that brought him here. " I raised my eyebrows at his harsh comment.  He looked in my eyes. "He was never in love with her and will never going to be." My eyes widened at his declaration.

______________________________________

Next will be the last part of the story.  Enjoy reading.  Please vote,  comment and share.