Chapter 1

Kale was standing on the back porch of an old Cosco in New Orleans. there were kids everywhere. We had 128 in total. All living in an abandoned Cosco. 128 kids who all lost their parents one way or another. kale remembered what had happened to his family. his mom had caught the illness eairlier on then most adults. she had been one of the first to die after the burn out, as some call it, became deadly.
Some of the kids parents just died from protecting their kids but there was no way to know for sure.

Once you catch the burn out there's a chance your going to die. Or a chance of you coming very close to death and losing your mind.
Those who do not die become mindless. canabalistic. killers.
The burn out illness only effects anyone 16 or older. luckily I'm 15 not effected by the illness. at least not physically. we Had all seen what happenes when some one in your family gets the burn out. it starts out a little like the black death.

#1. You start to feel like someone's poking needles into your arms, legs, and torso.
#2. you get a low grade fever.
#3. the fever escalates.
#4.you become unbearably hot and start to break out in a horrible rash of ozing pimples.
#5. you die/ you become a mindless canabal.

The adults only eat children. they come after us like their playing a game of tag. then they strike. teeth meet flesh in an awful showdown. there's .screaming crying-"what cah doin." I turned around to see Macy. she had big green eyes that went perfectly with her long brown hair. she's the absolute image of perfection. she smiled at me. something others would melt at, but it didn't even faze me.
Try to look happy they say try to be nice. in this world of Cosco their is no nice.
There also is no parents or big brothers and sisters.
" Kale." Macy said as she waved her hand in front of my face. " oh. sorry Mace. didn't see you there." Me and Macy run the 128 kids in the Cosco." so." I say absentmindedly to her trying to break the awkward silence." what brings you to the back of New Orlans, finest Cosco. " her green eyes well up with tears. " we lost another one." she says. crying and making it hard to look at her flawless skin. " w-who." I ask.
Every week or so we lose another kid. we started at 160 kids. And this morning we had 126.

" August." she replies looking down at my ratty sneakers. were both 15. we were 14 when this whole shitty thing went down.
The government lost control of every thing. many people moved to the country side. only to realize that the illness was inside of them all along.
" He has- had a sister." I look up to see that Macy was still talking about August. " how did it happen." I say coldly." well." Macy started. " there were about 5 kids playing out side- but! They were still inside the fence and some grown-ups must have gotten over the fence and took 'em." the grown ups were not very organized. they knew enough to eat children and walk in giant heards. they never climbed fences. heck! Thoses monsters couldn't even out-smart a 3 year old. but that didn't matter. they were stronger than us. they knew to attack in numbers.
Once you caught the illness and turned into a monster, you got some sort of great strength. where you could snap a 15 year old boys leg in half and not break a sweat,but you can't run 1/6 of a mile without falling down.

" call Akkie." I said. Archilies was our hunter who brings in food for 127 kids with the rest of his hunting gang. he's also a ruthless fighter who lets no one talk back to him. But we call him Akkie anyway.

" Tell him that he only feeds 127 kids now."
XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
Ceylan- yay so do us like it. Comment please and I'll use some of your ideas in the next chapter. 😄
Major Ceylan sinning off on December 16th 2014
Happy hanaka