The perfect rose

It has been days, days since I posted the mail. I didn't tell anyone, even Sandra. I waited for days for a reply, there was none. Winter was longer that year. I have almost completed my syllabus. Ryan was missing since Lucy's marriage. He didn't contact Sara either. Sara left London, a week before.

"Pray for me Anna, I have a huge debt now. Everything must go according to my plan, else we will be in trouble". She said while loading her things on a taxi. Sara had lost her cheerfulness. May be she is not carefree anymore, she is leaving the town forever, or it could be due to Ryan. She didn't say much about him after that. She called again once she reached, the next day she took the job.

Steve and Lucy settled in Everland. Steve tried to get her admitted in some nearby colleges. She is confused about the colleges and courses and called me often for advices. Finally, she took some interior designing course on Lisa's advice.

Lisa was engaged and their story continued as such, except she got someone near, to listen to all her stories and stuff. Lucy was always a good listener and Lisa was more than happy to have her near.

Sam's condition progressed and Sandra was really happy about this. She never talked about Abram again, and I was glad that she didn't. I was alone most of the time. Ryan was not there, Lucy and Sara left, my students had been busy with works, as their exams were near.

The only relief was mom and dad. Dad stayed at home and did cooking and gardening, most of the time. He planted more flowers and Sandra's birds got a new a companion. He was more cheerful and mom was also glad with his presence, and we had a happy time together.

I missed everyone, especially during Sundays at church. I missed those days when I met Lisa, Sara and Lucy there. The whole place felt lonely.

The worst problem was that I had nobody to talk with. I was confused about my decision. Abram seemed to be interested in me, the whole time. I expected a fast reply. There were none. I got panicked. What if he found some other girls there? What if someone else reads that letter? I checked my mails regularly. But there was no reply from Abram.

Then, once Ryan entered my cabin. 

"Hey, it's a long time. Where were you?" I asked.

"I was at home, thinking about myself". Ryan looked tired and sad.

"For a month?" I was surprised.

"Yes, I took leave for that". He said calmly.

"Then did you think enough?"

"Yes, but I would like to have an opinion". He took the chair and sat facing me.

"From me?"

"What do you think about Sara?"

"What? Sara? She is my best friend. You know her, you guys were together all this time".

"Anna, it is difficult for me to take a stand against my parents, so I have to get some support from my friends". There was disappointment in Ryan's voice.

"So, they are not okay with her". I asked anxiously.

"Yes, they are, but my parents. They are old Anna, they want me to get settled. Settled with the perfect girl, who can manage our business and house, and help me get better at everything. Sara was the perfect girl, in every way, but". Ryan hesitated

"It is not fair Ryan, to give up her dreams for your family". I supported Sara.

"I know that, what do you think of me? Her life and dreams are important to me. That's why I didn't persuade her, even after a lot of pressure from my parents. I loved her for her uniqueness and I don't want her to leave her dreams or anything for me".

"So what are you planning to do now?"

"Waiting. Waiting for her to settle her debts, and do her duties. Then she will come back. She loves this place, more than me. She is perfect for me. I will do that". Ryan smiled slightly.

"But your parents?"

"They will be fine. All parents like to see their children living in the perfect life, and mine will be perfect with Sara, and they know that. So let it be".

"Will you call her, now?"

"Yes, I am going to. So, what do you think?"

"It is hard to find someone who understands a girl completely. I am happy that you are one of them. Sara is lucky to have you". I said.

Ryan stood up and smiled."Goodbye. Let's meet in the evening".

"Bye, Ryan". Ryan closed my cabin. I went lonely again.

I started to read a  poem and an attendant told me to go Ryan's office. I was afraid that he had some trouble with Sara. All the way I thought about it and suggestions I could give. As I opened his cabin, Ryan was going out.

"Sorry Anna, I was about to leave".

"Why you called me?" I asked confused.

"It was me Anna". I startled when I heard that voice unexpectedly. Abram was sitting in the cabin. He raised from the seat when I entered. I couldn't speak. Abram too was silent. We looked at each other and stayed like that for a while. Ryan was confused in between. And he left, closing the door.

"When, no, why you came here?" I asked, trying to hide my excitement.

"I came today and drove directly to here. You know why I came". Abram looked at my eyes as always.

I felt like crying when I read his eyes and the emotions it revealed.

"Abram, I want to hear it from you". My voice was shaking. I could feel something heavy in my throat.

Abram sighed. "Fine. I love you. I want you, I don't want to take any more chances with you. I got your mail, the next day I packed my bag to get back to you. I know you will find this stupid, let it be, I don't want to be a hero anymore. Let's forget everything, and be together once again. As you said.

We have each other, I need to prove that I loved you, and it was true and pure the whole time. It was not for your sister or my brother, it was for me, and it made you happy. You will be more happy from today, more than you have ever been. I will love you more than anyone. Just believe me, Anna, you will, will you?"

I don't know whether to smile or cry both happened simultaneously.

"You are still the same". Abram put an arm around me and I leaned towards him.

"You cried a lot. Even I cried, but nobody saw that. We won't be sad again, there will be no one else in our world, except you and me. We live for ourselves now, let's see how it works".

"Are you sure Abram? If you come back to me, it must be for us, us alone. You know how sad I was, when you left me for Sandra. She is the person I love the most. She was my mom, she loved me more than her. And she means the world to me. But from childhood, I was overshadowed by her. Dad and mom loved her most. She was the perfect girl, and I couldn't even reach her shadow. I was proud and happy about her, but I was sad.

I needed someone to love me, love me as I am, someone who appreciate me and could make me feel I am the best person in their life. I thought you were like that, and when I knew Sandra was the reason you arrived here, and you left me because of her, I was broken. Do you think a trouble in Sam and Sandra's life would make you leave me again?" I asked looking at his eyes.

He replied after a while. "Anna you are mine, I never considered you second. You are mine, always it was like that.

I expected you to write me or call me once we parted. You never did that. I followed you all these times. I often visited St. Stephens to see you. I came here and I heard you are in love with Ryan. I felt like, I lost you. Then I heard from Sandra that you still think about me and I didn't wait after that. I called you, talked with you at church, but you avoided me and. Leave everything for now. I talked with Ryan and said you will be on leave today. He seemed to be in a good mood, and he called you here".

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To the village, towards the forest, what do you say?" I smiled and Abram knew my smile. We left the cabin holding hands and walked through the corridor. I heard a lot of murmurs behind us. Both of us ignored them, and we walked out of the gates towards a beautiful winter evening.