Chapter 13. I'm Not What You Think I Am

Carla's POV

Gently pushing the half-open door of Anthony's room, I took a step inside to find the lights dimmed.

As my keen eyes took into the dark room, I couldn't spot the familiar silhouette of the dark-haired Alpha. All I could see was the empty--void of any person--room and the deafening silence.

The whole day I haven't seen Anthony. He'd ditched food at the dining hall, preferring to eat in his room. All alone. From what I eavesdropped on Daniel and Ariel's conversation at the dining table, he didn't even show up to discuss about the rogues with them. Something was definitely up with him. And for some reason, I feel like it has something to do related to what Noah is. Since the moment Ariel said the little boy was a Lycan/ Demonic Witch hybrid, he'd been distant and aloof.

I sighed when I still couldn't find him anywhere in his room.

Looks like he isn't here. But I did see him entering the room. Where could he have gone?

Just as I was about to turn around and exit the room, my eyes caught sight of Anthony's figure seated on the floor with his back rested behind on the wall at a corner next to the door. He was doing a great job at hiding behind the shadows. I almost didn't see him. I would've actually thought it was a ghost looming in the shadows if I didn't recognize him.

His head was tilted upwards as if he were staring aimlessly at the ceiling but from the faint light of the moon illuminating his face, I could see that his eyes were shut.

I walked over to him and crouched down in front of him in a sitting position as I balanced my weight on my tip-toes. Not a great thing to do but I shall ignore it for now. His attention shifted---probably 'cause of me making too much noise---and he looked straight into my eyes with his brown, wait a sec, his eyes,

They look golden. . . .

Which means. . . .

Before I could conclude anything, they were back to their normal brownish-hazel colour as he stared at me wordlessly.

"Carla?" His husky voice murmured and it sent a thrill down my spine.

"Hey," I waved my hand cheekily, grimacing internally at my own behaviour.

"Hello," his lips broke into a smile but I could say it didn't reach his eyes.

"Uhm..." I began, casting my weight on my tip-toes as I inched closer to him, "You okay?"

Anthony's eyes looked bloodshot as if he'd been crying and his face seemed tired but he still managed to look devastatingly handsome. His jet black hair was falling on his forehead messily as he glanced at me through hooded eyes.

"Yeah. I'm fine, Carla." He sported a small smile which gave away his lie.

"Liar," I deadpanned and moved on my tip-toes closer to him, balancing my weight like an athlete, which I'm not.

And that just got proved when the second time I tried to do the same thing and edged closer, I lost my balance and my whole body lurched forward.

Oh shit!

I shut my eyes, readying myself for the impact of the fall but two arms grabbed hold of me at the end moment and engulfed me in an embrace. Long story short, I ended up on top of Anthony, in his arms with both of us slumped against the wall.

I looked up from his chest into his eyes and saw him smiling---a genuine smile this time, "You're a clumsy cat." His fingers gently brushed off the hair falling on my face and tucked it behind my ear.

I attempted to step back but he simply pulled me closer for a hug. I was stunned for a moment before hugging him back but then I heard him muttering faintly,