thirty-two

elizabeth:

"ow, don't touch there," i suck in a sharp breath.

grayson laughs, removing his hand from my shoulders. "why?"

i glance down, embarrassed. "sunburn."

he widens his eyes, and gives me an i told you so type of look.

before he can say anything, i hold up my hand. "don't wanna hear it. nope."

"fine," he rolls his eyes. "i won't say anything about how i told you to put on sunscreen yesterday."

i elbow him, but not hard enough to hurt. just enough to get the message across.

"sassy today," he mumbles.

"only for you," i singsong a little bit, opening my phone.

he chuckles, messing up my hair before he stands up and walks to the kitchen. "want a drink?"

"can you get me a water, please?" i ask quietly.

he nods, and grabs a bottle from the fridge. "i have an idea for your next art piece."

"what would that be?" i ask, trying to entertain him.

he throws the plastic bottle in my lap. "you get a bunch of fruits, and then just pelt them at the canvas and let them explode. 10/10 idea."

i laugh a little. "if only it were that easy."

he shrugs, plopping down next to me again. "it can be. i've seen some pretty ugly paintings get sold for trillions of dollars."

"like what?"

"mona lisa wouldn't smile, and look where she is today. one of the most famous pieces for unknown reasons."

"the mona lisa is priceless," i scoff. "but yeah, she could've smiled just a little."

he sighs tiredly and closes his eyes as if he's about to fall asleep. "create from the heart. everything you do is good."

an idea pops in my head, and it almost startles me.

"i have to go," i rush out, scrambling to find my shoes.

his eyes shoot open, and he looks at me worriedly. "w-what did i do? why—"

i grin at him for reassurance. "you gave me the best idea ever."

"i did?" he scratches his head.

"yes! don't worry about taking me home, i'll run! i have to get this idea on a canvas before i lose it!" i yell and fling open the front door.

"lizzy—"

the door slams behind me, and i feel kind of bad, but i have to sketch this idea out before i lose it. this could be my turning point for my art, and i know just who i need to go to for it to work out.

grayson texts me a couple times, but i just text back that i'll call him later and not to worry. sometimes i just get a good idea and act upon it instantly.

"max!" i yell, flinging open the door to the studio where i take my lessons.

max yells a little, throwing his brush up in the air and catching it quickly. "my god, elizabeth you almost gave me a heart attack. what's going on?"

i grin and drop my bag to the floor, immediately beginning to search for a practice canvas. "i have the best idea, and you're the only person i know who can help me pull it off."

he gives me a funny look. "what would the genius idea be?"

i take a seat in front of him and gush to him about the project for the next hour and a half. he listens intently, providing some commentary and questions along the way.

after i'm finished, he simply smiles and says, "let's get to work then."