Chapter 14: Kyoshi Island

- Elara -

It had been several days since our encounter with Commander Zhao, and we still hadn't been able to track down the Avatar. Every time we thought we had a lead, he would pop up somewhere entirely different! It was incredible! It was like he was a wizard, or something! And since we were constantly chasing after the Avatar, and the Avatar was busy hitting every island from the South Pole to the mainland, we were spending a lot of time at sea, which gave me plenty of time to think (Spirits help me).

I leaned against the railing of the deck as I watched the sun set, my mind swirling with thoughts about what the Moon Spirit had told me about the Avatar. I had determined that I needed to prove to him that he could trust me. How was I going to do that? I had no idea. It wasn't like I could just go up to him and be like, Hey! I'm Elara, and I'm your new best friend. Don't mind Zuko, he's just trying to capture you to regain his honor, but I promise I'm not like that! I'm on your side...yeah, that wasn't going to work. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to figure out what I was going to do before Iroh disrupted my train of thought.

"Elara, I am in need of your assistance," he said as he walked over to join me by the railing.

I turned to face him and smiled (I had always enjoyed helping Iroh, after all). "Sure thing. What's up?"

"Well," Iroh began nervously, and I had a feeling that he was about to pull me into something sticky (I was right of course). "I need to deliver some news about the Avatar to Prince Zuko, and I would like you to accompany me."

I raised my eyebrow in suspicion at the strange request. "Iroh, what are you planning?"

"Nothing! I just thought that I could use some back up—someone to put out the flames, if you know what I mean," Iroh teased with a wink, knowing full well that he literally needed me there to put out any fires that Zuko created if he threw a fit.

"Whatever you say," I sighed as I bent some water from the ocean and condensing it into a bracelet around my wrist (as a safety precaution, of course). "Don't go pulling any tricks on me, now."

"Of course not! Who would ever think to do such a thing," he answered with yet another wink (although, I knew he was lying, especially since his butt was on the line). "Let's see, I think I last saw Zuko in his bed chambers..."

I followed Iroh as he departed to Zuko's room, keenly aware of the parchment he was carrying in his hand. We entered cautiously once we had arrived to avoid any unnecessary disturbance, simply delaying the expected and inevitable outburst from the Prince. I was able to see that Zuko was meditating, assuming the lotus position in front of a large stack of candles. Yeah, those open flames were going to be a problem.

"The only reason you should be interrupting me is if you have news about the Avatar," Zuko said in a dangerously silky voice.

Iroh spoke carefully, trying not to antagonize the Prince. "Well, there is news, Prince Zuko, but you might not like it. Don't get too upset."

"Uncle, you taught me that keeping a level head is a sign of a great leader. Now whatever you have to say, I'm sure that I can take it," he replied calmly, and even though I was impressed with his response, I had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to follow through (at least, that was only what I could assume. I actually didn't know what the news was yet).

"Great! Elara, you tell him!" Iroh said as he shoved the parchment into my hands, leaving me to fend for myself, as expected. Of course Iroh would dump this on me, especially considering how he had some crazy idea that Zuko always reacted better when I told him the bad news.

I opened the paper to reveal a map with an indecipherable zig-zag pattern traced in red ink. A note in the corner notified me that this was a record of the Avatar's travels, and that the crew had no idea where he was or where he was going.